What are your experiences with having two intact males? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default What are your experiences with having two intact males?

WD is almost one year old and evidently I have already forgotten about the puppy stages. I am thinking about adding another pup when he is about 3 years old. (knock on wood that no stray cutie will stop by).
It looks like I can leave him intact. I prefer the males and would like a new pup to be a male if at all possible. I have had several intact sight hounds males that lived peacefully together but I matched them carefully by rank and personality. I don't have expereince in having two intact GSD males together.
WD is not a trouble maker when meeting dogs and easily defers to all kinds of dogs.
I know it is early on but I need to plant the seeds for my family for this idea and notify the breeder as well of my plans.
So I hope to get some responses from you guys who have more intact males that live together (not kenneled in separate quarters):resource issues, how you matched them, working them together, meeting other dogs etc.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Well, let me just say that I am off to take one of my intact males to the vet for a possible aural hematoma after a fight.....will add more later

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
KristiM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boy is almost 3 and we're getting ready to add a female (personal preference to have a female now). I noticed really big changes when it came to my boy's interactions with other males once he turned 1 and wasn't a puppy anymore. No more deferring, no more laying down, no more taking crap from other dogs, and yes, he is still intact.

He was extremely sweet as a puppy...got along with all dogs and still does...but if another dog challenges him, we have an issue on our hands. So wait a few months (maybe a year) to see if you think a male will accept others as easily as he does now. I know it can work, many people have it work, but you might change your mind in a few months about sticking with a male and try out having a female this time around.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martemchik View Post
My boy is almost 3 and we're getting ready to add a female (personal preference to have a female now). I noticed really big changes when it came to my boy's interactions with other males once he turned 1 and wasn't a puppy anymore. No more deferring, no more laying down, no more taking crap from other dogs, and yes, he is still intact.

He was extremely sweet as a puppy...got along with all dogs and still does...but if another dog challenges him, we have an issue on our hands. So wait a few months (maybe a year) to see if you think a male will accept others as easily as he does now. I know it can work, many people have it work, but you might change your mind in a few months about sticking with a male and try out having a female this time around.
That thought was already in the back of my mind....and makes sense. I know WD is starting in life, that's why I won't add another one until he is older and I know what his fully developed personality is like.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Every one of my boys decided to not get along anymore after about 18 months. Except for Ari and Anik they could be together supervised, but had to be watched. Ari and Anik just purely despise each other.
So my input.... if you want another male, and are willing to separate if needed (and have the ability to separate) then go for it. Otherwise a girl dog would be a better choice.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have two intact males, a 8 yo and a 15 month old, lucky for me they get along well.. also have 3 spayed females that do extremely well together..

But that could easily change one the younger male matures..

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, CGC ~ soon to be titled... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nikon and Pan were fine until one day (literally overnight), the same week Pan turned two years old he decided he didn't want to share me anymore and the best way to achieve this was to simply get rid of Nikon himself. They had a few fights that were mostly berserk growling and gnashing of teeth, no dogs were hurt (I was) but I just knew it would continue to escalate and it was different than incidents where they just tell each other off or have a temporary fight over *something*. As long as they had some sort of barrier, they were actually quite manageable. They respected baby gates, weren't trying to snark at each other when crated next to each other or taking turns being out, but I ended up selling Pan to a good friend though the fighting was just one of the reasons for that decision. I have a really small house and miniature yard and didn't feel that the crate-and-rotate was the best life for any of my dogs, plus the whole thing stressed out Coke (neutered male heart dog) and prevented me from fostering puppies like I had been. Would I do it again? Sure! You just really never know with any combination (Coke our oldest is a male and he's always gotten along with both Nikon and Pan, and every foster), but have to be prepared to manage or have a backup plan in place. Because of that it worked out fine for us and the dogs never sent each other to the vet or anything like that.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Now that my intact male GSD Kaiser is almost 2 years old he needs to be watched around other males. As long as the other male isn't posturing/provoking/humping him everything is fine, but if a male does try then he will not back down.

My spayed female Papillon is also the same way. As long as another dog isn't trying to start something she is fine, but once they try then she won't back down.

My dilemma is what gender to add as my 3rd dog.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd say, check your one year old for posessiveness. Does he allow you to stroke your friend's dog? Any other dog? If he's friendly, if he's leaning forward with curiosity, not agression or complete disinterest ( that may indicate that he would not accept the oddities) - go ahead. But, if he's posessive - your new puppy will always suffer opression while young, and will pay back when grown, and your visits to the vet will be more friquent than before unless you teach both dogs to listern to you. The males living together must be totally obedient.
David Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

My 2 also get along fine, they play very rough but boys will be boys. Creasy is 20 months old, I was expecting a fight around this time but so far so good.

Gnash is possessive of toys/food and Creasy likes to push the boundaries so I am careful that I do not create a situation for them. Hope it continues to work and the boys run together
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.