Fearful dog - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

I have so much to say, but am having trouble finding the right words. The best I can offer is my own belief that my job is to protect my dog from such treatment. Sounds like what you're doing is working. I would go a step further and report your concerns regarding the trainer to your local AKC club. At the very least, when asked for the names of reputable owners, this whackadoo won't come up other than for a warning.

I hate stories like this. I had to correct my son for rolling a dog for refusing to 'back' come feeding time. Once they leave home, our kids sometimes pick up bad teachings. At any rate, such things should be reserved for the worst grievances - not for ignoring a command in a benign situation.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 01:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

thanks. I'm just guessing at the cause since he was friendly and confident before, he'd strut everywhere we went. I havent totally tested what sets him off, he's all around fearful, just sometimes he barks, sometimes he just cowers. I picked up some dog training books and it struck me that they all said somewhere about not forcing a dog to obey.

Actually with my brother, he'd bark at him when he's standing or just bark nonstop in his kennel when he could hear him but as soon as my brother sat down he went over to socialize and pawed at him and licked him. They had met before some months ago though. I just figured the barking was him wanting to play. It was the same with my cousin and uncle. He did cower away from my aunt when they met and it was really just at the vet's where there was no bringing him down until he was muzzled and the vet sat on the floor with him.

He's my first GSD and the first dog I'm training for a real job and it matters to me to get him through this so I'm definitely worried. I've had dogs before but never had to deal with fear/anxiety issues and I've never had a dog regress on his obedience. But I'm definitely on it, I'm glad to have some additional things to try with him and I'm extra careful now with selecting a new trainer.
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

If you're still using a prong collar, I'd put it away for now. Use a flat collar or a martingale. Take away every single thing that could trigger back to that episode. I think she's wrong about being a 'true alpha'. I know my boy would have tried to remove her face, LOL!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #14 (permalink)

Lol will do. I've tried...but he still pulls sometimes. I don't have his focus all the time. Are the front hooking harnesses like the Easy Walk Harness recommended?
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.