German Shepherds Forum banner

New rescued GSD in our family

553 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  csowders 
#1 ·
I am the proud new momma to a 2 yr old black GSD that we rescued through an awesome program. I am experienced with rescue dogs and with Australian Shepherds and Border Collies but this is my frist GSD. This gal has lot of potential in many areas....she was tested by Louisville Metro PD and was an outstanding candidate for their narcotics program. However she did have some fear of traffic so she was turned down until she could overcome that. She was rescued as a stray on the streets of Louisville so the fear of traffic had kept her alive. NOw that I have her I am seeing new behaviors that I have never seen like that total attachment...I thought my Aussie stuck to me like glue but this is a whole new level. She constantly wants to play and I allow her lots of play time, exercise but there are times throughout the day we just cant play. I put her in "timeout" aka the crate for about an hour a day to get her to just rest. I also provide a rawhide chew that usually occupies her for an hour or so. What other things might I do to help her "self entertain"?

#2 ·
I don't think I"ve ever really had a german shepherd that entertained themselves for very long:) They are sooo human orientated, and such interactive dogs.

Congrats on your new girl!

I have a couple of aussies myself,,they keep the gsd in line and yes my gsd's have always been much more 'velcro' than my aussies who tend to have their own agendas:)

#3 ·
I always thought Aussies were velcro and liked human attention but this gal has shown me the true meaning of mans best friend LOL. She is doing very well and we try to be creative to entertain her. I type this with one hand as I play tug of war with the other. She and I are going to obedience classes soon to work on control and more advanced obedience. Not sure how she ended up on the streets of Louisville Ky but glad I was able to provide her a forever home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.