Will your dog REALLY protect you? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

That's one of the worst videos ever, I'm sorry. I can't have a legit discussion on this topic when that video is involved!!

As for my dog, I'm fairly certain he will "protect" me (if protect = bite). We've tested this more than once, double blind meaning *I* had no clue an attack on me was coming and had no way to unintentionally cue my dog.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Everyone is of course right, the setup in that video is horrible even if it may be stemming from a valid point.

I remember this video I saw a couple years ago as well, I think it's thought-provoking. If there's one thing our dogs may be willing to protect over us, it's their "territory", right?

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke 5/25/07
Luther 2008 - 7/23/12

"Take this trouble from me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." Max Von Stephanitz
Anubis_Star is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

That one doesn't really work for me either. My dog is not a "family dog" really, he's a German Shepherd, bred and *trained* to protect. I can only speak for my own dog but he doesn't fit either video. I would never expect my family dog mixed breed rescue to attack someone, even a stranger coming into the house.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

When our house was broken into in the middle of the night while we were all home my lab didn't even bark. I am sure he was all over the robbers, licking them and showing them where we keep the silver.
LaneyB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

None of those videos work for me either.

GSDs can be intimidating in appearance and growling alone.
Sometimes that's enough of a deterrent against an assailant.

However, as far as the question posed: Will Your dog really protect you?

If you are talking about a dog who protects (protects=bites) because of the reasons you mentioned above and only while its on it's own territory...Then my answer is no.

If you're talking about a dog who has been truly 'trained to protect'...on or off it's own territory (and will continue to bite or fight even if injured)... Then my answer is yes.
This type of trained dog will fight to the death or until incapacitated.

For me, it's all about the training.

JMHO,
Kat
KatsMuse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Lisl has already shown that she might be capable of this behavior.

Several times on our socialization walks and business visits downtown she will sometimes walk quickly in front of me and growl and/or bark at a stranger inside one of these places.

She seems very selective in who she does this to, and it is only very occasionally this happens. She's never done it on the street except to a motorcycle the other day.

It's almost as though she might know this could be a bad person, or the smell isn't right to her, or some other reason. On most of these visits these people are strangers to me too. Maybe she knows something I don't.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Lisl has already shown that she might be capable of this behavior.

Several times on our socialization walks and business visits downtown she will sometimes walk quickly in front of me and growl and/or bark at a stranger inside one of these places.

She seems very selective in who she does this to, and it is only very occasionally this happens. She's never done it on the street except to a motorcycle the other day.

It's almost as though she might know this could be a bad person, or the smell isn't right to her, or some other reason. On most of these visits these people are strangers to me too. Maybe she knows something I don't.
Be careful here, sounds a lot more like a fear-reactive puppy then a protective dog. It's one thing when a well socialized adult reacts out of the ordinary with a specific person and another when a younger dog or puppy shows fear or is reactive.

I'm sure there is a lot of advice people can give you, but this isn't the thread for that. Start a new thread and you may hear lot of ideas on socialization and working with a puppy that shows reactivity
ayoitzrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Maggie loves people way too much I don't believe she will protect us just yet although when she gets older I think it might get better?

Being a veteran Law Enforcement I always carry concealed so my biggest worry is Maggie getting in the way of me protecting us.
"And I will execute great vengeance on them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am... a German Shepherd" - Modified version of Ezekiel 25:17
Maggies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
Obviously this little girl isn't in TRUE fear, could a dog sense fear and respond differently? But I think in general it shows the fearful response the average pet dog would show to a true attacker.

Your thoughts?

Will an untrained dog protect it's owner? www.BobsDogs.com - YouTube
My pet untrained dogs can and have protected me and my family more than once. Taking down a burglar who came over the back fence and attacking a rattlesnake.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes mine would. Bc they are genetically equipped to do so, and we train religiously for this scenerio
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.