Won't stop following us around - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
I still have to sometimes tell my GSD to wait when I want to go take a shower/go to the bathroom without him...and then he just sits outside the door waiting for me! LOL

I think some of it is security in a younger dog, or in new situations--Hector becomes very clingy after a move, or for a few days when I come home from vacation, etc. But that's also just how they are and that's like 90% of the point of the wait command and crate training.
I live alone, and I just leave the bathroom door open a crack in case he wants to leave, but he normally just lays down right outside the shower. He either goes with me or stays where he can keep an eye on me.
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Member

I'd find it strange and something they should grow out of.I don't have GSD's though. I like Antony 8858's reply to train them to wait for you when you wish. I'd say it is some sort of mild separation anxiety to need to follow you around everywhere.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I'd find it strange and something they should grow out of.I don't have GSD's though. I like Antony 8858's reply to train them to wait for you when you wish. I'd say it is some sort of mild separation anxiety to need to follow you around everywhere.
Nope. It's normal in the breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLab View Post
I disagree (not with Anthony's suggestion, but with the separation anxiety bit). My dogs do not demonstrate anything even close to separation anxiety. The only thing that might fall into that category is Hector being clingy for a day or two after I'm gone for a weekend, but he's fine with the pet sitter and I can leave for hours right after I get back and he's fine, and his body language isn't anxious despite his desire to be right with me more than usual, so I don't think it counts.

I am not sure what breed you own obviously, but wanting to be very close to their owners is a trait that is bred into some dogs. Both my breeds (ACDs and GSDs) are that way. It's especially common in herding and guardian breeds--they wouldn't be much use if they didn't care where their "charges" were! Hector is actually funny because if I'm in the bedroom and my boyfriend is in the living room (or vice versa), Hector will often station himself alone on the bed in the guest room where he can keep an eye on the hallway that leads to both rooms. Either that, or he'll pick one of us to hang out with (generally whoever has the most room for him on comfy couches/beds) and will get up every hour or so to do a quick check on the other person before going back. It's about keeping an eye on things, not separation anxiety.

GSDs were selectively bred in part for their devotion to their owners, so it's to be expected that it manifests as the dog wanting to be with you as much as possible. I'd only worry if the dog was freaking out when the bathroom door was closed or something of that nature.

Courtney posted: I can appreciate your post. I heard the number one reason adults end up in the ER with broken bones is from tripping over a pet!

LOL I routinely have 4 dogs following me everywhere I go, but I have to say, my cat is the real threat! I swear that little sucker enjoys lurking in darkened hallways (and he's black so it's not like I can see him easily) and then darting out under my feet!
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-15-2013 at 07:22 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

I've a lab cross boxer and a lab cross bullmastiff. The bullmastiff mix is too lazy to follow me around lol. When were out for walks she sticks by me or if in a part of the house she'll be with me but like if i go to the bathroom she won't follow me.

The lab boxer(1/2 lab 1/4 boxer 1/4 retriever) likes to be with me too but doesn't follow me around. I guess i would never encourage them to do it and would tell them to wait when they were young and reward that.

They just do there own thing really. I walk them 2-3 hours a day and at home they just relax, sleep in there beds or the couch or on the floor.

I just brought up the separation anxiety as any dog who does try to follow me around does have separation anxiety, I think. I mind friends dogs and the ones that try to follow me to the bathroom etc do whine when i leave the house etc.

I know people who train GSD's for schutzhund and there dogs don't follow them around. They just relax in there crates with the door open. They keep a pretty tight pack structure though and are really good trainers. I don't think they have a genetic impulse to shadow there owners.
MadLab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Their reputation for being Velcro dogs is one of the reasons why I got a GSD.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My boy is three years old. He still follows us from room to room.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

The problem with Sib..AGAIN those bad house manners..is that she goes first..if she starts as a follow she will push ahead and go first...I know I know this is a dominance thing..but how to break her...that I don't know..She will wait at the door to go out or come in, but must be reminded most times...i believe the fact that my dad, who is with her every day I work, does not enforce ANY rules on her..."Jusy let her be a dog, FCOL"..Gotta love em
Old 01-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master Member

Our Jake is almost a year old and he follows us everywhere! It is better now though ... a few months ago it was hard to get him back downstairs or upstairs, but now he comes with us when we ask him to. So now that he does that, he is allowed to accompany us when we go upstairs or downstairs.

I never really realized how much of a shadow they are until we got Jake.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master Member

My dog only reliably follows me to the kitchen or the backyard.
Bear L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.