German Shepherds Forum banner

keeps pushing food bowl away

7K views 42 replies 9 participants last post by  hvtopiwala 
#1 ·
i dnuo what my pups deal is, but since yesterday evening when i try to feed him he keeps trying to push his food bowl away when his food is in there...he keeps nudging it away with his head. if i take small amounts of food and put it on the floor he eats it just fine! ive tried changing bowls same problem. if i put all the food on the floor, he nudges that away. any ideas?

#30 ·
Stay with the brand, change the protein/flavor. If that doesn't work,then go w/ a different brand.

#33 ·
ok breakfast was a no go..he just pushed his bowl away :( i even tried using a different food (blue buffalo) and he did the same thing! whats his deal??? the vet said health wise he is fine, but underweight. they prescribed him an appetite stimulant which i am going to try next...

#34 ·
Are you located in cold temps or is it warm where you are? Some dogs won't have much appetite in the warmer weather. You've looked in his mouth to make sure his dentition is ok? No pain when chewing?

#38 ·
What is he waiting out for? I doubt if he thinks 'a steak is in my future if I hold out long enough'
I have no idea why he's not eating what you are offering, the food isn't rancid? Dogs sense of smell is so keen, there may be something off about what you are feeding(storage/mold?)

Obviously something is going on, but I don't think he's being a punk or stubborn. Cook up a scrambled egg and see if he'll eat that.
I hope something gives! It must be really frustrating.

#39 ·
well i opened a fresh bag of that Pacifica so i know thats not rancid or off...

i mixed some wet dog food into his kibble and he gobbled it up super fast but left behind some kibble just because it wasnt mixed well...so im going to try and mix it a bit better and see what happens...maybe he wants to be a canned food dog??? or maybe since the kibble looks the same hes being a punk? i duno lol...if he does want to be a canned food dog, what food would you recommend?

#40 ·
I feed raw, so have no idea! I would think raw feeding would be cheaper than canned, and healthier. Have you thought about raw?

#42 ·
Reading over yor thread and someone touched on the ongoing bowel issues...so I glanced at how many threads you have started regarding, I didn't read them...now I have to say, from the time I got my dog at 1yr. old until 4.25yrs. old, I had this exact recurring problem, he wouldn't eat, he had chronic diarrhea and soft stool...I did the parasite test and the tylan and metradonzole (sp.?), anti-diarrhea shots, appetite stimulents...added in canned food to entice, worked for a bit but made stoools worse....while this goes on and on, the conventional vet said no way - NO human food...

I researched raw, but only knew of the pitcairn way - which was "the WAY too complicated" and I was doubtful I could make it balanced (I think he was trying to make a natural based on kibble formula).

Finally went to a holistic vet and she said dog food? NO way - give him people food - meat...bones, low fat and a pancreatin d-zyme...I made the change abruptly - no topping kibble with raw, next day - best poop he ever had...

You can do honest kitchen dehydrated when on the road, raw at home.
But I would do this sooner then later as malabsorption and not eating is cause for future concerns in all process's of the body - muscle, joint, neuro, heart, all organ systems.

Your dog is pushing the bowl away because he is sick - dogs don't eat when they are sick - there is something wrong with his digestion and he needs natural approach - this he is telling you as much.

#43 ·
hmm can i just use honest kitchen overall?

if he does have a stomach upset, why is he gobbling up canned food? or is he scared that kibble will make him sick again? his stool has been perfect while hes been on Acana, it was only recently he got sick and it was bad...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.