Adding new puppies? Same sex - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Adding new puppies? Same sex

Stark is 11 months exactly, his birthday is in one month!
My question is about adding another male dog into our home in the future. I honestly dont know how well Im supposed to be able to guage his temperment at this age. I can tell you that he shows no attempt to be dominant at all yet. We did alot of alpha training with him, just showing him we are in charge. He cannot eat before us, he does not eat what we eat, he does not enter a door before us, etc. And, he absolutely LOVES other dogs, no matter the shape, size or sex. We bring him to a local pet store and one of the workers always comments on how he is just in love with other dogs. And, he always submits to other dogs when they try to be dominant. He doesnt resource guard, he is a very well trained, well behaved boy.
But, I dont know if he is just too young for his true temperament to shine through yet? Oh, btw, he is not neutered yet. I plan on getting him neutered between the ages of 1.5 to 2 years, so fairly soon.
But, the real thing Im getting at is that my BF wants a puppy of his own. We are in the process of buying a house with a little bit of property and he is looking harder into breeders. He wants a rottweiler, he has had them, his mom has one currently. He is very familiar with the breed. He for sure wants a male.
Will this possibly cause tension in our household? To be honest he probably wont end up getting one for at least 1 to 3 years. We have to get settled in a new place and he has yet to be put on a waiting list, etc...
Will it make a difference that the second male dog in the house will be raised with the current male of the house? And by that time, Stark will be neutered.
Can you give me any tips of what I/we can do now or when we bring a new puppy home?
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Its all going to depend on the temperaments of both dogs. I had a male and a female, then brought in my female GSD. My older female is very good tempered and has allowed all my finds into the home, but she is the boss and everyone knows it or figures it out. One time I took in two other females, the younger female of the two decided to push it and there was a minor fight that I was able to break up and no further incidents in the following 2 months. Your dog sounds like he's got the same temperament of my female GSD and she gets along great with my male golden...they are inseparable. Don't get me wrong, the GSD loves my older female, but the older one picks and chooses when she wants to play...most of the time she is off by herself(she is very independent) I think that you should be okay with another male, but just in case things change, are you guys opened to an even tempered female?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Im actually dying to have another GSD, and I would get a female. But that wouldnt be for probably 5 to 7 years. But, the BF is VERY set on a male rottie. He and I were both raised with male dogs and that is just a very strong preference of ours. I dont think he could be talked out of a male.
Cstout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
Im actually dying to have another GSD, and I would get a female. But that wouldnt be for probably 5 to 7 years. But, the BF is VERY set on a male rottie. He and I were both raised with male dogs and that is just a very strong preference of ours. I dont think he could be talked out of a male.
I think you'll be fine. I prefer males too and I ended up with 2 females You might be surprised what a puppy(male/female) can do to melt a heart My parents like Rotts, they(well my dad, mom died) is on their second female. She is a good dog, but has never been around other dogs, so therefore does not like them.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

It can go both ways. I know people that have a couple of males that get on fine... but I also know people that have had bad results.

One family had an older GSD that was good with other dogs so they bought another male GSD puppy. Things were fine until the pup grew up and killed the older dog.

Another friend got a pup when his wife already had an older male dog. The older dog is a bit strange (nervous mainly) but had got on ok with his old dog which was a male before it passed on due to old age. Again things were fine until the pup grew up and they started fighting. They came home from work one day to the older dog having a pretty bad neck wound. They now live with a fence splitting the backyard in 2 and gates all through the house.

As I said sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. You tend to get less problems with a male/female pair than 2 of the same sex.

I guess just be aware that even though your current dog might be fine with it, it doesn't necessarily mean that the new one will be.
Ziltoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I like multiple males vs females, altho right now I have two females (an aussie & gsd) that get along perfectly fine.

At one point I had 3 males (one intact) and a female living together and really no problems between the males.

The one thing I am going to 'try' not to do again is get dogs close in age, reason being, you end up with two senior dogs who may have health issues, and they tend to pass close in age to each other. I have lost two sets of dogs within a year of each other and it's heartbreaking enough to lose one, but losing two is devastating

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think you're probably worrying over nothing, OP. Yes, it's possible that your dog will develop aggression later on, but it's also possible that he'll always be a happy-go-lucky critter that loves other dogs. I have also had less problems with multiple males than multiple females in a household, and introducing a puppy can be very easy because he's going to grow up being pretty submissive. I find introducing 2 adult dogs to be more prone to problems.

I'd just keep doing what you're doing with your current dog--socializing him in fun ways so he continues to enjoy other dogs. If he does develop aggression, then you can reassess the puppy situation (presumably your boyfriend would neither expect you to get rid of your dog nor want to bring a puppy into a home that would be dangerous for it). Even if you're on a wait list, a good breeder won't have a problem finding a home for the pup if you have to back out. But that's really unlikely IMO--plenty of homes have multiple male dogs who do just fine together.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.