German Shepherds Forum banner

How many of us....

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Kyleigh 
#1 ·
...have dogs that bury their bones? I watched Spirit do this yesterday. He dug out the dirt with his paws, dropped in his chew treat and used his nose to push the dirt over it.

I've never had a dog that does this. I was quite thrilled :)

#4 ·
i have one - i still think it is funny as gum balls to watch. mine sneaks off with the bone in her mouth and if she catches me or the other dogs watching she re-locates the bone to another spot, cracks me up to watch.

if yr feeling cruel just go dig up the bone when yr dog isn't watching and re-hide it, then watch when the dog goes back for it.

#9 ·
Kacie will always bury recreational bones...the other dogs pretend they aren't watching but within minutes someone goes and steals it. If she's out alone, she'll dig it up within a few hours or maybe a day...nasty!

#13 ·
Lucky buries his fresh or recently unthawed butcher shop bones. Daisy was a hoarder extraordinaire as she burried hers ,got Lucky's by walking by him w/ a toy and then chewing on his for awhile and then burying it. As for forgetting where they are buried that would be the Luckster.Lucky hides his toys and I swear he then cant find them and walks around crying about it. He is not a tracking dog.LOL

#14 ·
None of my heelers do, and Hector used to not...but he learned, and in the funniest way! I moved in with my boyfriend back in September, and apparently the previous owners had a dog who liked to bury bones. When the dogs starting spending a lot more time in the yard than they had previously (they used to visit a lot, but that's not the same), Hector started sniffing those bones out and digging them up. And no worries, they're definitely dog chews...nothing creepy! ;)

Then about a month after that, I noticed him burying a bone in a pile of leaves that we hadn't raked up. Now that we finally cleaned up all the dead leaves, Hector has taken to burying his bones in the yard itself. I'm kind of impressed at how he figured it all out, and fortunately he isn't too destructive with his new habit!

#16 ·
Berlin buries all his special expensive bones (funny how he can tell...) but not outside, nope, instead he buries them in my bed. Behind my pillows, under the cover in the exact spot i lay..and at one point i had accumulated 3 bones in my bed. He would keep burying them if I gave them to him, and eventually he would eat them or I had to throw them out hahaha. The best surprise he 'buried' in my bed was a raw bone. And he noses the covers or pillows over it to cover it.. It is such a funny thing to watch...and half the time it isnt even 'hidden'. :rolleyes:

#17 ·
OH you're not alone! Ky does this outside ... I only let her have bones in the backyard in the late fall (I'm trying to get the grass to grow and the flowers LOL). Since we get so much snow, and it kills everything, by late fall (November or so) I let her go to town in the backyard with her bones ... she has a BLAST let me tell you.

And yes, they do remember. When I tell Ky to get her bone, she goes right to it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.