Amount of Exercise? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the more you do, the more your dog can do.

Like people, if dog is in shape and raring to go, it's probably ok.

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

doggie dad ... every waking moment of Ky's life is training ... I don't do "increments" of training ... I incorporate training into every single thing we do (except sleep LOL)

as for socializing ... we are at the dog park (where she does very well, and our dog park is massive) 3-4 times a week ... and she has at least 10 great dog friends that we rotate play dates / hiking, running, etc.

Also, some of the "hiking" days are trips to the city / the market area, etc. so tons of socializing there ... Ky has probably been more socialized than I have!

It seems my question has been answered, and I thank everyone ... I didn't think I was doing anything "wrong" ... but wanted to see how much others do with their dogs.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

I don't remember how old Kyleigh is (and it sounds like she's old enough not to worry), but generally my only caution with regards to exercise is with dogs under 1 year old. Exercise is still good and necessary, but too much or too much high-impact stuff can cause problems later in life, such as early arthritis. They won't always show a problem early, but it can still lead to cumulative damage. For young pups, it's always good to talk to the vet to determine appropriate exercise levels.

With healthy adult dogs, I say go for it! My dogs get what many consider an extreme amount of exercise as well (all-day hikes on weekends, running a few miles a day with me, walks and play and sport training on top of that), and they're all going strong--and if you look at my signature, a few of my dogs are getting up there in years and have been doing it all their lives. My vets always comment that they're some of the youngest-looking old dogs they've ever seen, and the only dog who has a problem with arthritis (and it only flares up in cold, damp weather, which we don't have much of here in Albuquerque) only has a problem with the leg he broke when he was hit by a car, and now he has pins and wires holding it together. Not to say they haven't slowed down from when they were 3 year olds, because they have...but not so much that people who don't live with them notice!

So yeah, I'd say you're doing fine. I'd rather see a dog with a lifestyle like yours than one who goes nuts sitting on the couch all day! As long as you're paying attention and will stop if she gets too tired, you're fine IMO.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hmmm people seem astonished when I tell them how much I do with Milla. Now I don't feel it's so much!

We walk/run 3-6 miles everyday
We do obedience of some sort everyday.
We do tracking 3-4 times a week (unless there is snow)
We just enrolled in a pre-req to an agility class which will be once a week
We train with our Schutzhund club 2 times a week
She gets at least an hour play time outside with the other dogs everyday
She goes to daycare once a week
We go on a group run/hike every Saturday morning

Ha I always told people I was normal!

Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12

Kya - GSD 7/15/00-11/3/13
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

RowdyDogs ... Ky's 19 months ... so not yet an "adult" but well over a year!

I'm glad to see other people doing as much or more with their dogs too ... I figured these were the "heartiest" of dogs that could keep up (heck, I can't keep up with her!) ... so I didn't think I was overdoing it ... nice to know!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My husband and I do a lot with our dogs (though it sounds like you do even more), but I also have learned the hard way that I needed to teach them to get along without the intense daily exercise if necessary. Periodically my husband goes out of town, and on more than one occasion I found myself catering to the dogs' every whim and the second they got restless we were back outside to play or hike or go running. I think I had maybe four hours to myself in the average day. It got to be ridiculous.

So although I have the time and freedom to let my dogs go full speed all day, I refuse to do it lol. I guess if it is something you enjoy doing day after day, then good on you. My feeling would be that it would also be smart to get her used to missing a fully active day once in a while too, in case you get sick or have a crisis.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

I think it is awesome that you are able to spend so much time with your dog! If your schedule allows it and your dog enjoys it...I wouldn't worry about what your friend thinks.

I am fortunate that I have a family that works like a team with our GSD. She gets a couple hours to run and play with us each day. She is very good about having days when she is extremely active and having other days when she can't be. In a perfect world, I would consistently be able to do more.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

The main reason I can do all of this with her is that I'm single, no kids ... no life LOL I have lots of hobbies, but they are all solitary, and involve no action ... and the last thing I need health wise is a sedentary lifestyle!!

She can be quiet, so on the days when I've had a migraine (which thankfully, isn't that often) she will just mellow with me ... and there's always the backyard with a bone buried in it somewhere to keep her active!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
The main reason I can do all of this with her is that I'm single, no kids ... no life LOL I have lots of hobbies, but they are all solitary, and involve no action ... and the last thing I need health wise is a sedentary lifestyle!!

She can be quiet, so on the days when I've had a migraine (which thankfully, isn't that often) she will just mellow with me ... and there's always the backyard with a bone buried in it somewhere to keep her active!
I'm the same way. I really just enjoy doing things with my dogs, and have structured my life around them because of that, so to me it's not work at all. I mean, there are definitely some days that I don't really feel like going out in the cold to take them for a walk, but isn't that true of just about anything? I spend about 4 hours a day just working with my dogs, because I enjoy doing it. Neither my boyfriend nor I want children (or at least not for long enough that I suspect all but our GSD won't be around, sadly enough), and we love how active and involved the dogs keep us.

Mine also do fine with some time off. Mine actually had a week recently with very little exercise, because I was out of town and our excellent pet sitter came down with a bad case of the flu right after we left, so while she still took care of their most basic needs (bless her!), she wasn't exactly taking them for runs! They were a little nuts when I got home, but we didn't have any problems with them getting destructive or crazy.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna

Good night! You people are couch potatoes. LOL. Fiona doesn't get nearly that much exercise. That is why I am getting a thingy to get her to go along on my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.