How to handle going from one dog to three. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Jean this may be for nought . I just talked to Kat our person at ROR who is handling this. I expressed my concerns and she and another evaluator have suggested we wait as the girls if it doesnt work w/ us would lose their current placement. however my husband is rather annoyed w/ me and thinks we should go ahead.
Jean Lucky is moody. He doesnt seem to want to play and tolerates at first but then becomes grumpy lifting his lip. If it was allowed to go further he would lunge. I reaaly have not pushed him to be around other dogs.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

It's risky when you have a picky dog. There are tons of dogs in OH in need that might be easier to meet.

I will check back later - if you do - like APBT said, you don't have to introduce right away.

Lucky sounds more like many of my dogs. They will tolerate other dogs, but really don't want someone in their faces. (almost typed feces!) I can take them places, they are good, might even meet other dogs on their own, but really don't want someone up in their grills! I am the same way with close talkers! My dogs all get along because they are similar - nod, say hello, move on...
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post
Do you HAVE to introduce them right now?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't these two just go through surgery?

I'm a huge fan of the two-week shut down. Give them some time to settle in and heal and then go through proper introductions if it's at all possible.
This. Two week shut down by all means!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

They do not need to get along immediately. After the two-week shut down, go through intros SLOWLY, they don't even need to sniff each other the first try, they could go on a walk near one another - one girl at a time so as not to overdo it for him - within sight. And work on getting more progress over the course of days/weeks, not minutes.
He doesn't sound like a dog-aggressive dog at all to me, and neither do the girls. I think this could work.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with taking introductions slow, it may take a few weeks of watching but you'll learn triggers. Jazzy is fine with other dogs but hates when a dog gets in her face, so I watch interactions and make sure that trigger gets pushed as little as possible.

Most dogs can handle change with ease as long as it's gradual. Keep them separate for a few days then let them interact for short periods. There may be rough patches but in the end it can be very rewarding

My family has eight dogs between us and we get together often, we've learned who gets along and who needs to be watched. There's every size between a 4 lb Yorkie to a 85 lb Doberman, and we've never had any big issues. .

Just take it slow and try to relax, chances are everything will be just fine

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Don't rush anything. When I brought Lakota home I sat with the dogs all day before I even thought about bringing her out.
I would set the girls up in crates in a different room than Lucky and just take it real slow.
I'm so excited for you & so happy the girls are staying together. I'll be thinking about you guys!
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The decision to bring the girls here tommorrow was rescinded due to there not really being a good way forthem to return if needed due to the distance and my own doubts. My apologies to you guys. I did complete the home study and the person who did it suggested working w/ a GSD Sr rescue to be a back up. She thought that it could work but we needed to have a back up plan.This may still happen. I left messages w/ ROR and my home study will be sent to them sometime today or tommorrow.We still want them but Im not sure crate and rotate for life is the way to go for us and them if it does not turn out well.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well you know what is best for you and yours.

Do you think you could just foster them to see if it would work, and then if you really feel it won't work with the rescue to find an adopter?

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
APBTLove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTLove View Post
Well you know what is best for you and yours.

Do you think you could just foster them to see if it would work, and then if you really feel it won't work with the rescue to find an adopter?
That is what Im hoping for .The lady who did our home study is the lead person fior the group who works w/ our conty pound . She suggested the foster to see if it works. ROR will take them back its just that the place they are at now wont be available and foster homes are in short supply however we could handle crate and seperate as we have entry to the basement and the dogs could be seperated.ROR has ben great dealing w/ this and trying to help us .Our home study didnt get to them until today so the girls couldnt come today I think .

Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
That is what Im hoping for .The lady who did our home study is the lead person fior the group who works w/ our conty pound . She suggested the foster to see if it works. ROR will take them back its just that the place they are at now wont be available and foster homes are in short supply however we could handle crate and seperate as we have entry to the basement and the dogs could be seperated.ROR has ben great dealing w/ this and trying to help us .Our home study didnt get to them until today so the girls couldnt come today I think .
You are going into this smart! Good luck!
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.