New Owner - Pacing Outdoors Problem - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all of your constructive comments. We brought her in when we got home yesterday with the cats in the bathroom and plan to make a slow introduction. She did really well being inside with us for the afternoon, but was again pacing this morning when I left to go to work. I know it will take time and more socialization. But I am taking your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
you say you know about dog care but you allow your dog
to wonder a 1/2 mile away, umm. you know about dog care
but you don't have time to train and socialize, umm.
I realize this sounds bad at the surface, but I think it was the best we could do at the time. We took her in unprepared to contain and care for, but only did so because we didn't want to see a young GSD put down by the shelter. That shelter is what I would call a medium kill shelter. They were full at the time, and strays get a 2 week stay there before being put down and owner surrenders (like this GSD) are walked from the front door to the gas chamber according to the workers there. We are on a limited budget and the first extra $300 we had went toward a containment system. The next $300 we saved up went toward a heated/insulated large house for her. So I really do feel like despite being able to give her ideal care, she was better off with us than without us.
chemlabrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for trying, let us know how it goes. I think a lot of folks here have experience introducing dogs to cats.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
Elite Member

Omg a gas chamber, that is a horrific death... I forgot to say this before but bless you for saving her!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

You're welcome! And yes, that shelter is pretty bad. They use a gas chamber instead of shots because they said it was cheaper. One of the workers who had their elderly dog put down paid extra for the shot, but the average dog gets gas. This shelter made national news last year because a dog actually survived the gas chamber. A worker came back to get the body after the timer went off and the dog was still alive, but barely. Rather than put it back in, the worker took it to the vet and it was adopted after the story made the news. During the summer last year, they had days when 50+ dogs and cats were brought in after the shelter was at full capacity and had to be put down or ones in the shelter put down to make room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
Omg a gas chamber, that is a horrific death... I forgot to say this before but bless you for saving her!
chemlabrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemlabrat View Post
You're welcome! And yes, that shelter is pretty bad. They use a gas chamber instead of shots because they said it was cheaper. One of the workers who had their elderly dog put down paid extra for the shot, but the average dog gets gas. This shelter made national news last year because a dog actually survived the gas chamber. A worker came back to get the body after the timer went off and the dog was still alive, but barely. Rather than put it back in, the worker took it to the vet and it was adopted after the story made the news. During the summer last year, they had days when 50+ dogs and cats were brought in after the shelter was at full capacity and had to be put down or ones in the shelter put down to make room.
I have seen the process of the gas chamber it is absolutely horrific and something that will be burned in my mind for the rest of my life. At least that one pup was saved, did you here about that shelter just burning dogs alive who survived it? Just makes me sick to my stomach. It's illegal here but instead they can sell pets to laboratories, not sure that's a real gain.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have 3 dogs & 2 cats in a very small house. Sometimes it takes longer than we would like for everyone to coexist, but have patience and it will happen. Good luck.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like you guys are on the right track I know many, many GSD owners who have cats and dogs peacefully coexisting... and many, many more who have cats and dogs that are deeply bonded. You never know, they might end up being great friends!
LoveEcho is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.