Female with domanance issues.(Long post) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 04:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Female with domanance issues.(Long post)

This is Storm a 4 year old working line GSD that I rescued from a shelter, I am her 3rd owner both previous owners said she was too much to handle. She also attacked and killed a small dog at the shelter. They were going to euthanize her but one of the employees called me and asked if I would give her a chance.
As soon as I got her home she immediatly started posturing and trying to dominate my other 2 GSDs, I stopped her and continue to stop her every time she tries this. She has since stopped doing this with my male but continues with my female. She and my 3 yr old female fought yesterday while I was away and my wife was alone with them. My wife had to smack them with a broom to get them to stop. My female avoids her but she seeks my female out and postures and mounts her every time she thinks no one is watching. Im thinking maybe an e collar to stop this but Im not a behaviorist and would like the opinion of someone who has delt with this before. We have been keeping her crated while we are not activly watching them.
Storm is an Alpha female that actually raises her leg to pee and marks her territory like a male. My male pays her no mind but she dosent try to dominate him anymore like she does my female.
She is a great dog other than this. We are progressing greatly with her obedience training and she absolutly loves to work. She also loves people and wants to be with me wherever I am. Is this domanance issue curable or do I need to keep them separate and find her a new home where she is the only dog?
ed1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Female to female fighting can be deadly, Once they start it's something you can never trust them with as they will most likely take any opportunity to continue it.

So as I see it, the two choices you listed are 1. keep them separated at all times or 2 rehome her with no other dogs

Hard decision she sounds like she could be a fun dog to do activities with.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

NO E-COLLAR! That can cause more aggression!

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

missed the e collar,,I agree no e collar, you've got a typical female who is female dog aggressive and she is not going to stop most likely

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You are lucky that your wife was able to separate them...that they can even be in the same room is amazing...female to female aggression is really serious and can lead to terrible injuries and fatalities....

Start with absolute control by separating them....keep the new female crated when the other is loose...period. No leeway. You have to have one crated before the other one is allowed out.

I have a female aggressive female...she has been ok with her daughters while they were young, but I would not even consider letting her loose with one of them now....I can train and show her in AKC venues, but am always always vigilant about other people's dogs....she is fine with males after a leash intro...but I have had 2 female fights and lots of vet bills over them....it is not something I would wish on anyone!!!!

Either separate them, or find her a home with someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck and be careful!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Crate/rotate, separate and diligently manage them. If you cannot handle this type of household, it would be better to rehome.

Females can get nasty and hold resentments. Not all dogs will get along unfortunately.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

They are doing much better.
ed1911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

One day has passed and they are now getting along? Wow.

What everyone said above is very true, you can have a deadly fight rather quickly on your hands with multiple female homes.
Good luck.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I wouldn't want to give up on this dog. If you aren't using a strict NILF program, I'd start that. Make sure she gets that you're in control. She looks to have a slightly 'tougher' and more serious background than your other dogs. Something that could give you an excellent dog! (Other than the same sex aggression, that is) Keep working her. Keep working with her. Reach out to the IPO community and see if you can find more solutions to same sex aggression. This is one self assured bitch, and I don't think her basic personality is going to change. However, I doubt you'll find a true working home to meet her needs where she's be (and remain) an only dog.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

crate and rotate or rehome her with someone experienced with working lines and female to female aggression. personally, i wouldnt allow her around other females if I could help it. very strict controlled supervision at all times.

I have an older female who is very dominant. I have a younger female who just wants to be friends with everyone. The older female WILL NOT back down. My younger female will hit the deck and try to avoid a confrontation thankfully. The older female will posture and start being pretty obnoxious and it will escalate to a full blown fight given the chance. She's not a small female either. I wont tolerate the posturing or attitude problems geared towards the other dogs, especially my younger female but if I'm not around, the older female will start something if she thinks she can get away with it easily. Dont take any chances.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013

Last edited by KZoppa; 01-04-2013 at 02:42 AM.
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.