Hi from Louisiana - old dog not adjusting well to puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hi from Louisiana - old dog not adjusting well to puppy

Hi. I am the proud new owner of Axel the German Shepherd. He is 7 weeks old and is a smart little thing. He learned to sit in about 3 minutes and never fails. He is doing ok with potty training and crate training. He still whines when I first get him in the crate, but it is all new to him and to be expected. He has had a few accidents, but that is mostly my fault. I have an 18 month old who requires a lot of mommy's attention, so I have been a little late taking him out a few times. I am a single mom and work 8 hr days. I go home on my lunch break and let him out of his crate and outside and my brother goes and lets him out in the afternoon. My problem is my other dog. I have a 5 yr old female chihuahua (Isabella) who tolerates Axel and will even play with him at times. My 3 year old male chi/pom mix (Eddie), however, is NOT happy about our new addition. I have never seen him growl or get upset in 3 years and all of the sudden he is just being mean, even toward Isabella who he has always adored. I dont know what to do to help my Eddie adjust better. I want my sweet boy back and this little demon dog to go!!
Axel'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Unhappy bump

Ehh. am I doing something wrong? No one has replied to me???
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

I asked one of the administrators to move this to the Behavior section. You should get more replies there.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You posted properly, I'll move it to another section other than the Intro and you may get more help.

I'd make sure the new puppy is NOT allowed to pester Eddie plus try to make sure to have the same one on one time with his as prior to getting your new GSD. It's hard not to revolve our lives around a new puppy and their needs so this does take away from our older dogs.

Remember Eddie wasn't given a vote on adding a new puppy to the house and I'm betting his life was rolling along just fine before the new addition. So being patient and figuring out a balance he can live with by working with Eddie is something you need to figure out.

Really make sure you can exercise/train/socialize the puppy outside the home so your other dogs won't feel slighted and you can wear the pup out. A tired puppy is a good puppy who will cause less issues when back home.

May be help for you on these links:

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/features/...g-to-your-home

http://puppies.about.com/od/Training...roductions.htm

http://www.puplife.com/pages/bringin...s-to-get-along
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-28-2012 at 10:54 AM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much for the help. I love these forums and researched here a lot before getting Axel and it has helped so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.