Dog feeling neglected because of new puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog feeling neglected because of new puppy?

I have a 3-year old GSD and am getting a new Chihuahua puppy. I'm wondering how it will affect my GSD if I am able to take my little guy all sorts of places that I can't take my GSD? Will it effect him poorly to be left behind? He currently stays home when I go to work - he has no problem with it - great in the house but I worry that that might change if I take the pup with me everyday? I also worry that this will somehow effect their bonding?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
dog friend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I have 3 dogs and its really hard to leave some one behind. The 2 girls are nuts about the truck my male not so much. For a while he would choose to stay home, then all of a sudden he decided he'd rather join us and run to the gate with the girls. I definately think you could create some resentment taking the little one and leaving the other dog home. You really need to make sure you give your other dog equal time.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

My 2 shepherds hated it if I took one and not the other! But they had lived together for years. Maybe with a new puppy it might be like a "break" for him? Having house to himself maybe? Give him lots of love! We also took in my sons dog and since they were/are a lot older, when he jumped in bed with me and they were no longer able to jump up on bed, they defiantly didn't like that! So my sons dog sleeps with my daughter and my shepherd(one has since rounded the bend to the bridge) sleeps in my room with door shut!
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.