Need help with mischievous dog! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with mischievous dog!

Hi I am a new gsd owner looking for some advice.

My gsd is a little over a year old now. I need some help because she is always on the move and trying to get into things. I have bought her toys and elk antlers to chew but she is more interested in getting socks and climbing up on my bookshelf or otherwise in search of mischief . She never lays down for more than a few mins to chew on something. I don't know what to do because it is hard for me to do anything while she is out so I have to put her in her crate to get anything done. If she can't find something to get into she will pace and whine or bark at me. I want to have a dog who can be out with me and behave but I need some advice!

I am good at training her to do specific actions like sit, stay, down, etc. But I am not so good at teaching her to be well behaved.

I try to give her lots of exercise but I know she needs more. I play outside with a flirt pole with her until she is breathing very hard, but I don't know if that's enough. I also play "go find" with her treats to mentally stimulate her too... but nothing seems to get her tired enough for her to lay down or at least be calm and not try to get into things.

Should I just try to wait her out? Like clear up a whole room so she can't get into anything and just sit in there with her until she stops whining and lays down? I don't know if that will help...

Please help! Thanks!

-Janet
jpgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgoodman View Post
Hi I am a new gsd owner looking for some advice.

My gsd is a little over a year old now. I need some help because she is always on the move and trying to get into things. I have bought her toys and elk antlers to chew but she is more interested in getting socks and climbing up on my bookshelf or otherwise in search of mischief . She never lays down for more than a few mins to chew on something. I don't know what to do because it is hard for me to do anything while she is out so I have to put her in her crate to get anything done. If she can't find something to get into she will pace and whine or bark at me. I want to have a dog who can be out with me and behave but I need some advice!

I am good at training her to do specific actions like sit, stay, down, etc. But I am not so good at teaching her to be well behaved.

I try to give her lots of exercise but I know she needs more. I play outside with a flirt pole with her until she is breathing very hard, but I don't know if that's enough. I also play "go find" with her treats to mentally stimulate her too... but nothing seems to get her tired enough for her to lay down or at least be calm and not try to get into things.

Should I just try to wait her out? Like clear up a whole room so she can't get into anything and just sit in there with her until she stops whining and lays down? I don't know if that will help...

Please help! Thanks!

-Janet
Sounds like she needs a job. Join a club. Get a professional trainer Or go to training courses.

Why sit there with her? Boring her to death will make it worse.

Give the girl something to do!

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Congrats! You have a perfectly normal adolescent. Do you use stuffed kongs? Bustercubes or other food-puzzle toys?

How many miles a day is she getting walked or jogged?

Do you have puppy play dates or other socialization events? Nothing wears puppies out better than other puppies!

BTW, this is the age when the greatest number of GSDs seem to land in shelters, in my experience. I think a lot of people underestimate how much work they are, esp. at this age! Hang in there -- like the commercial says, it gets better.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Can you bike with her, or run? Hiking? Walks and backyard play are not enough often for a young pup. My dog thinks his job is to accompany me running or hiking, and if we miss more than a day or two in a row, he gets antsy.

I should edit: He is now 18 months old, and I can miss a couple of days, and he's ok. But not at one year--only MAYBE one day a week could I miss, and I did a lot of mind stuff--like obedience in random order.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RocketDog; 12-18-2012 at 10:23 PM.
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

It sounds like she just needs more exercise.

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11
Verivus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, sounds like a combination of normal adolescent terror and not enough exercise. Keep up the mental stimulation but add in some serious hiking, running, biking, etc. and I bet most of your problems will disappear. Working breeds like the GSD are, well, a lot of work.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
DWP

Default It will be fine

You will be OK. You have taken the steps of recognizing the issue and seeking assistance. I agree with folks here. Both my girls were absolute pains from 8 monthes to over 18 months. They settle down. There are folks here that know much more than I, but keep working with her and it will be OK. I may have it easy because I have two, they do tend to keep each other engaged and play.

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

sounds bored to me. teach her some new commands, teach herhouse manners. you can train indoors. teach her not to counter surf. play with her. when you can't watch her crate her.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

It is true. Wear her out. Mental work seems to sometimes tire them out more than physical excerise.

I have a 17 month old who is STILL a whriling dervish in the house (but great outside offlead because that is where I put my focus) - Ask your breeder -about how their lines mature. Mine actually told me my pups mother was three before she could trust her unsupervised in the house. Beau is never loose in the house unless I do some "wear-u-out" stuff first. And then I watch him. Like a hawk. And he is crated or in the yard when I can't

Some dogs are more this way than others. After six GSDs all quite nice in the house, this one is in another dimension but I have faith that it will eventually work out.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Doggy daycare once or twice a week. Social interaction + lots to see and do = tired dog!
Shoshana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.