Need help with mischievous dog! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Sounds like a bored under exercised puppy. A tired puppy is a good puppy. More running, walks, training, playing, every day. Work sessions three times a day for at least a half hour, then walks and play for another couple hours throughout the day. They are working dogs and it takes a lot of work to keep their brains busy. Also, be sure to spend time in the grooming aspect. Spread the toes, examine the feet, look into the ears and mouth. Touch the pup all over all the time so she is used to it and doesn't get phased by it - it makes vet visits much easier later on. Teach her to roll over and show you her belly as well. Introduce her to at least one new object or place per day. Teach her tricks. Spin, shake, high five, etc. for a change of pace.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Actually I am not an advocate of doggy day care. My young dog just got attacked by an older pup he has interacted with all its life who was fine before he started. Would personally rather see owner-dog interaction to wear out the dog JMO.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Actually I am not an advocate of doggy day care. My young dog just got attacked by an older pup he has interacted with all its life who was fine before he started. Would personally rather see owner-dog interaction to wear out the dog JMO.
I agree. It also hugely depends on the daycare...I've seen some that terrify me, the way the dogs are managed. In my experience the really good ones are few and far between.

If someone is unable to give the dog enough exercise, I think hiring a dog walker is a better option. YMMV, of course.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Take to dog parks, run, bike, roller blade, play fetch, try hide and seek, play find the treat hide them under cups and let him find the right one. He will need more than an hour exercise to tire him out. As far as toys try the everlasting treat ball thats one of my dogs favorites. He also loves his new toy I just got him the Kong Wobbler that is wonderful mental stimulation for him. Try the classic Kong with peanut butter and dog food. You can also freeze it to make it harder to get out. There are tons of recipes you can make to put in the kong so its not always the same. He gets more tired from mental than physical. Or you can try other treat balls like the IQ ball or buster cube. They also have doggie puzzles you can check out getting your own agility course for your back yard. There are tons of things you can do with your dog.

Get him into agility, nosework, tracking, or flyball. Just find what works for you both.

Chief-GSD

Last edited by frillint1; 12-19-2012 at 12:15 PM.
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for your responses! It sounds like I need to get her some more exercise... I'll start running with her. That will help inspire me to run also!

I'm glad to hear this is normal adolescent behavior.
jpgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

You may try the flirt pole to. I haven't tried it my dogs not into most toys. Your might be. I have heard its wonderful exercise and some get really into it.

Chief-GSD
frillint1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I know how you feel. My Stella just turned 18 months and I would never leave her alone in the house! I don't think I had much of a life this past year other than dog related activities for the most part! I feel like I have a child again. But as the saying goes....a tired dog is a good dog. I can't run/jog as I have back and neck issues. But we walk, play fetch, play find it, use the flirt pole, train, and on days when I just don't have the energy....she goes to doggie day care. The one she goes to is wonderful. They have a web cam so you can watch your dog if you want. I would prefer getting together with other dog owners but seems most everyone I know has little lap dogs. I also take her to ob classes 1 or 2x a week and have started a freestyle class. I used to take her to the dog park but have had a few not so great experiences there. If my other dog would play with her it would be great but he is an old boy and just isn't interested. Nothing like another dog to really tire her out!
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.