Dog depression ? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

When our old female died, my old male fell in love with the shy, gentle, submissive 6-mo.-old pup we were fostering. He doted on the pup and seemed to really enjoy her company. I think it made a world of difference for him. We saw a new nurturing side of his personality emerge that we hadn't seen in the 10 previous years he'd been with us, and that was lovely to watch.

Many dogs are picky about their canine company. That young female he met may have not be the female for him. Maybe try introducing a submissive youngster who will look up to him--he might enjoy having a new job, looking after her.

Do you take him to dog parks, play groups, socialization events, play care or the like? If so, what kind of dogs does he prefer to hang out with? Is he still interacting with dogs in those environments now?
Magwart is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

The homeopathic, Ignatia Amara is a remedy for depression that I have used myself and on my dogs for this type of situation. Pellet form (Ignatia Amara 30c) can be purchased at a local health food store (not GNC) and liquid (much easier) can be purchased from NaturalRearing.com :: Loading Website.... Homeopathic's help to re-balance the system.
You would dissolve 3 pellets in purified water (takes a while) and drizzle this on to Lucky's gums 3 times per day for several weeks or until you see improvement, then stop. Give "in a clean mouth" meaning no food or water 20 minutes before of after administrating. There are 2 other homeopathic's that you can also try if this one doesn't do the trick in a couple of weeks.
I am so sorry for your loss and for Lucky. I've been there too.
Hope this helps.

Article: When Your Dog Morns The Loss Of Another Dog: 01 Grieving: When Your Dog Mourns the Loss of Another Dog - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Our animals have always shown depression after we lose another pet--even the loss of a cat will make the dogs seem depressed, as will the loss of a dog make the cats seem sad.

I'll never ever forget when we lost a cat (it got hit by a car) and that night after we found it, both of our dogs and the two other cats all climbed up onto our bed with us. That was very unusual for them and the only time I can remember them doing that while we had that batch of animals.

Time, extra love and attention should help.
Odin (GSD 8/28/13)
Cosmo-space cat
Chess-fuzzy cat
Valentine-our ragdoll cat
Two great skin kids
3dognite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

at the wolf preserve near me, there was a pack that had lost a member. the worker said it is normal for the pack to be depressed for a while after. not sure i have any advice for the op except that i have heard of dogs on prozac.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Clipper is going thur this too. Cody was the leader dog and after he died clipper seemed at a lose of what to do. They are brothers, he will be 12 in jan. we do have hooch the little pitbull, but Cody was his best buddy. I love on him a lot, we have one of those mattress toppers we use for their bed, he likes to lay on it to eat his nite nite bone, but with no Cody to share it, he doesn't sleep on it at nite, so got him a different one to sleep on but still have the other one too. Kind of working on what "feels" will help I guess. I have to work also but come home at lunch to let him out, help me eat a sandwich! Just trying to give him extra love. Someone had asked me if I was going to get another puppy, but no, I wouldn't want to have to take away from time I have left with clipper, if he was quite a bit younger I would, but not at his age. Have been giving him the springtime products which do seem to help. It's hard to see them unhappy, sometimes clipper will go out look around the yard a bit, then stand and bark like " ok, come out now Cody, that's enough hiding". We both miss him so much.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hope you figure it out for Lucky. I was thinking it could be just the time of year too. I am having the same issues with Ginger and Jonas both. I am not so sure it is depression. Let me know what works for Lucky and if I figure something out I will let you know as well. Good luck!! ..................On a side note: I do know that Gingers arthritus has been acting up more since its damp and cold out, so that makes her a crab sometimes too lol

Last edited by Loneforce; 12-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Loneforce is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Thanks. I so badly want him back full strength and be he usual self. Ive had to accept He is older,actually he is about 11. I do want another dog but didnt think that a puppy would be good . Thought about adopting an older female but need help introducing.Im trying to give him one on one but feel now its not enough.

When Shadow died Buddy went through this. He isolated himself and wouldn't come out to join us. We introduced him to a lot of dogs before we found one he was interested in. Surprisingly it was a 5-6 month old. Later we added another, a 7 year old female and now he is happier than I've ever seen him. He plays the regal older gentleman with Tasha and unbends and chases Ivan around in the mornings when he is feeling good. His eyes are clear, he coat is gleaming and he has re-joined the family. We had 5 dogs when he was little and apparently being part of a larger pack makes him happy. If all goes well now that things have calmed down a little (school is done and work is slowing down again) we are going to take in a foster.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
When our old female died, my old male fell in love with the shy, gentle, submissive 6-mo.-old pup we were fostering. He doted on the pup and seemed to really enjoy her company. I think it made a world of difference for him. We saw a new nurturing side of his personality emerge that we hadn't seen in the 10 previous years he'd been with us, and that was lovely to watch.

Many dogs are picky about their canine company. That young female he met may have not be the female for him. Maybe try introducing a submissive youngster who will look up to him--he might enjoy having a new job, looking after her.

Do you take him to dog parks, play groups, socialization events, play care or the like? If so, what kind of dogs does he prefer to hang out with? Is he still interacting with dogs in those environments now?
No dog parks .Daisy and he played lounged and hung out till she got real weak about a month before she collasped . I never tried we took them on day trips together . Im thinking basic obedience again starting in January and then seeing how he dfoes with other dogs there. Ive had less then positive experiences with puppy play when Daisy was young.I also think that your right about the young female.
There is a thread on here about 2 sr, female aged 8-9 . my husband and I both would love to have them but have no way to know if that would work.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OK Lucky seemed excited re the sardines but on his second serving said no and now he's refusing tuna.
We are discussing fostering to adopt two sr. girls ( Seee thread on Sr sisters Non Urgent) . Not sure about this but will continue to explore.
any feedback would be appreciated.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

ah, a little fuss pot.
Turkey? high in trytophan...chicken too...home-made bone stock?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.