My dog doesn't like other dogs... ideas?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Question My dog doesn't like other dogs... ideas?!

Hello!

Hachi is 2yrs old now and since he was a pup he always had trouble with being around other dogs, he barks at them non stop and sometimes charges at them. He has never bitten another dog, but he doesn't seem to want to be around him. At this point he is about 75lbs and a big pup. I am not sure what to do, he needs to be around them more, but no one wants to be around him if he is acting out like this.
He is great with adults and loves kids! His problem is other animals, any other animal for that matter... My husband and I have tried almost everything.

Any ideas?!
Hachiak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

try training him to ignore the other dogs.. this way he can be out in public and not act like a fool lol.. some dogs just dont like other dogs, its just the way they are wired... you can try the book "Control Unleashed" by leslie mcdermott http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB943 and Click to Calm by emma parsons http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb825 .. while your dog isnt aggressive to people the Control unleashed book might help you out... both books are really good and might give you a different look on how to train hachi
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebully21 View Post
try training him to ignore the other dogs.. this way he can be out in public and not act like a fool lol.. some dogs just dont like other dogs, its just the way they are wired... you can try the book "Control Unleashed" by leslie mcdermott Welcome to Dogwise.com and Click to Calm by emma parsons Welcome to Dogwise.com .. while your dog isnt aggressive to people the Control unleashed book might help you out... both books are really good and might give you a different look on how to train hachi
I totally agree with this. Both these books helped me tremendously with my DA dog. The most important thing is don't give up.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would recommend hiring a trainer to help you in person. This gives you the benefit of experienced eyes on your dog, and also calm "helper" dogs to practice with. But yes, essentially you will have to teach him to ignore other dogs.

If your dog is dog aggressive (as opposed to undersocialized), then there's only so much you can do as far as teaching him to "like" other dogs. He may not ever like being around them, but most DA dogs can learn to tolerate being around other dogs in a public setting, like on a walk. You just might not ever have a dog who you can take to a dog park to play with other dogs.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hope this is the correct forum for this problem. I need help. My German Shep is 2.5 years old, fully intact male. In the house he listens, does as hes told, can be left un kenneled while we are out and has never misbehaved, broken anything, pottied, chewed anything etc. My little one year old niece can crawl on him, kiss him etc and he allows it. He actually loves people, especially kids and women. Outside is a different story. He is very naughty. He barks at other dogs and pulls the leash. He is totally uncontrollable. He is very dog aggressive, particularly towards males. He has snipped at a female dog once, (but only once- we are not sure why this occurred-i have never seen it prior to this one time) . He hates male dogs, particularly other German Sheps, he wants to kill them. I am certain of this. He growls, barks , charges etc. I am only 100 lbs and 5ft tall, so it is VERY DIFFICULT for me to gain control becuase he is MUCH stronger than i am , and weighs more than me.I have tried everything from immediate disclipline/correction, to making him sit until he is calm, treats, etc. NOTHING WORKS . My boyfriend says he does this because i dont get control over him and dont show him the correct way to behave, however i do not know how to show him how to behave, if he is immedately red zone aggression and does not respond to any correction ever at all. This problem started at about 1 year old, when he started getting bossy at the dog park (with males only) I had to stop taking him. But then the last 6 months has gotten very bad, now he wants to kill squirrels, the train that passes by, cats, and any male dog of course. To top this all off, he has been bitten twice by a small dog. (very unstable dog that doesnt ever get correction from their owner, actually they get picked up and cuddled while they walk by and her dog is baring teeth and growling at mine) Both times the other dog bit it was off leash and not being watched by its owner, who was busy texting on her phone. I think this had made his aggression worse as he automatically goes crazy before anything happens,at the same time though, i cant blame him since he probably associates other dogs as being agressive. I think this has made his already out of control aggression worse . What can i do . I want him to get fixed to at least take the testosterone down a notch. But i also think in part this is behavorial as well , due to his breeding , personality (although hes super chill in the house ) and bad experiences with the little evil dogs that think taking on a German Shep is a good idea. I cannto control others who do not control their dogs, however now due to many factors i am unable to control mine. My questions are - would fixing him actually help with aggression ? My boyfriend says its me , and it wont help, its his dog so i cant get him fixed without permission , yet i am responsible for all of the dogs care since i am home and he s working) . My other questions is how can a small person like me who is over powered (and been injured several times trying to hold him back) get control. If i anticipate the problem coming then i am nervouse and he will pick up on it. If i walk away when i see a dog, it wont fix the problem . If i walk him by the dog and act like nothing then he wants to kill. If i correct him he doesnt listen. HELPPPPPPPPPPP please. I love this dog, he is my cutie, but i am at my wits end.
rplh709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

First, you may want to post your own new thread (rather than posting in one started by someone else) to get more attention from other posters; however, this is definitely the right forum.

Dog aggression and human aggression are not related to each other at all, so it makes sense that he is fine with people but aggressive with dogs.

In my opinion, neutering does often help with aggression, but it won't fix it, particularly since he has had time to practice this behavior. Neutering him does not sound like a bad idea at all, but it probably won't be a magic bullet. GSDs also may just naturally be dog aggressive; it depends on the breeding and the individual, but it is something that is found in the breed. In those cases, your dog may never be good around other dogs. I suspect that he naturally has some dog aggression, and that he also has a strong prey drive which is what prompts him to go after squirrels and cats.

Are you responsible for walking this dog, or does your boyfriend take responsibility? If you cannot control him, you should not be taking him outside. It doesn't take strength to control a dog if you set him up correctly with training, but you don't know how to do that. However, if your boyfriend is taking him out and just relying on strength to keep him in check, your dog is only going to get worse.

IMO, you need to get a trainer involved ASAP. This is a very dangerous behavior. Even though he is not human aggressive, someone may get bit trying to save their dog, and you could be sued and/or have your dog put down. It also isn't fair to anyone else who happens to be walking their dog when you take him out. This is not something to muddle around with on your own.

While you are looking for a trainer, you need to muzzle him any time he is going to be around other dogs. This is for everyone's safety. He should also never be off-leash around other dogs (even with a muzzle) and you may actually want to confine him to the house and yard for the time being, except taking him to vet and training appointments. Every time he practices this behavior, it reinforces it.

I doubt he "immediately" goes over threshold. Most likely, there is a distance where he is controllable, but you are not noticing early signs that he is about to go over threshold. It's easy to do, those signs can be very subtle. Most likely, your trainer is going to work with you to teach him to walk nicely on the leash at a safe distance, then gradually increase distractions. The primary goal should be showing him what you want and rewarding him extensively for it (so that walking calmly is more rewarding than lunging and attacking), and only correcting him if absolutely necessary.

For a good illustration of this, watch some episodes of "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stilwell. She uses positive methods and I've seen her deal with a lot of leash reactive or aggressive dogs. This is NOT a replacement for going to work a trainer, but it can help you visualize what I have found to be a very effective method for these kind of issues.

And remember, your dog may never be trustworthy around other dogs. Some dogs just aren't, it's their personality. However, I've never met a dog with a decent temperament who can't learn to at least walk quietly by other dogs in public.

edit: you also could try posting your own thread in the "Aggression" forum under this same section. I thought that's where we were.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!

Last edited by RowdyDogs; 01-02-2013 at 01:00 PM.
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.