Telling children apart from adults? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

I've never expected that of any dog, if not exposed to kids regularly from the beginning, no matter what the breed.

Let the flaming begin
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I've never expected that of any dog, if not exposed to kids regularly from the beginning, no matter what the breed.

Let the flaming begin
This!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

Let the flaming begin
Drat. I never have a lighter when there is an obvious invitation.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

<----*readying flame thrower*

Joking!
I do think a dog can reasonably be expected to recognize children and be a little more tolerant of or not intimidated by them. I think this trait has been bred into the domesticated dog for thousands of years--the ones who didn't "get it" became that night's meal.

This is not to say that all dogs also have the temperament to be patient with children--but if they don't, that doesn't mean that it is a bad dog that needs to be PTS.

As breed ambassadors, I hope that we all recognize that one of the traditionally most endearing characteristics of GSDs through the years has been the perception that they are smart, gentle guardians--able to switch instantly from gentle companion to a 2 year old to fierce guardian of that same two year old when it is threatened. We should foster that role in our dogs, and expose and train them to this behavior if at all possible.
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would say children can be more disrespectful then adults but that is not always the case. In the traing we do, we do not let the dog make up it's own mind who it will and will not accept because they will if you let them. Now I don't have a problem with my dogs if they bark either outside to say hey someone else is around. There is not always aggression with a bark, it is how they talk to us
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Heh I prepared my flame-retardant jammies already

I don't know if this is going to come out right, as I can think clear thoughts but when I type sometimes things get mangled!

But...I think what you say is entirely true and accurate but I also think it's more of a "philosophy" than an actual "breed trait".

As you said, many years ago they probably culled for "bad temperaments", especially where kids were concerned.
However, nowadays, few dogs are bred for those traits.
Interestingly, one breed was actually bred for and known for being kind/tolerant/gentle with kids no matter what the abuse dished out, and that's Leonbergers.

Now you'll find entirely too many people who have the philosophy (there's that word again) that all dogs should be tolerant of kids, no matter what abuse the kids dish out, and on the other side, what the background is of the dog.

We err on the side of caution these days, as I have no small kids to "test" with and the neighbors refuse to let me borrow their toddlers (sticks in the mud, they are!) and we try to adopt to homes with kids over 8yrs, unless the folks owned a Chow Chow and a toddler at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
<----*readying flame thrower*

Joking!
I do think a dog can reasonably be expected to recognize children and be a little more tolerant of or not intimidated by them. I think this trait has been bred into the domesticated dog for thousands of years--the ones who didn't "get it" became that night's meal.

This is not to say that all dogs also have the temperament to be patient with children--but if they don't, that doesn't mean that it is a bad dog that needs to be PTS.

As breed ambassadors, I hope that we all recognize that one of the traditionally most endearing characteristics of GSDs through the years has been the perception that they are smart, gentle guardians--able to switch instantly from gentle companion to a 2 year old to fierce guardian of that same two year old when it is threatened. We should foster that role in our dogs, and expose and train them to this behavior if at all possible.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmmm. I don't have any kids in my house under the age of 13, and so Rocket wouldn't have regularly been exposed to kids under 12 since the time he was a pup. My breeder has young kids, but I believe the youngest is 8 or 9.

From the time he was a wee pup he has been absolutely fine with babies and small children or toddlers. Last March he played "fetch" with a little girl barely turned 3. She would throw his flying squirrel and he would go get it and come stand in front of her and let her take it from him as he gently let go. He did this over and over. The grandpa was so happy, because she was a little afraid of big dogs.

When we go running, he will see small children and his tail starts doing big wags, and his ears get a little back in his "happy" look. My oldest has an older friend that has a 5 month old baby, and when she brings him over, we are very very careful with Rocket but he freakin' loves that baby. He will follow them around unless I make him lay down (which he will) and where ever they end up, he lays at her feet. He loves to sniff the car seat, and if we are holding him, Rocket will sniff his feet and wag, giving them a lick then laying at our feet. For all intents and purposes, he seems more than fine around them.

He also has gone to teach bite prevention classes with kids from Kindergarten to 5th grade. He loves it. If we are visiting friends with small kids, he loves to run around out there with them. Of course, I supervise him closely, out of prudence, but he will whine if he can't be with them.

The same goes for my poor younger two. If they have friends over, I always hear "MOM! Will you call the dog? He's following us around!"

Like I said, this isn't something I purposely socialized. And while I have kids, I never took him around little ones specifically, and he just seems to have a special affinity for them.

As for adults, he still likes them but is beginning to finally show some aloofness. He is still not quite as aloof as I'd prefer, but he is still young.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
OK let me ask this question before this turns into a thread about whether or not dogs who bark at kids are bad or not. "Is acceptance of children, whether they have regular exposure or not to them, supposed to be part of a German Shepherds proper temperament?"

Yay or Nay?
I would say children in general - NO. But the children in the household -Yes. Here is a quote from my choosing a dog book, "This breed makes a great family pet when properly trained, and it will love and protect your children almost to a fault. It can be suspicious of your children's friends, which could lead to a biting incident if the child show fear or flight".
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Heh I prepared my flame-retardant jammies already

We err on the side of caution these days, as I have no small kids to "test" with and the neighbors refuse to let me borrow their toddlers (sticks in the mud, they are!) and we try to adopt to homes with kids over 8yrs, unless the folks owned a Chow Chow and a toddler at the same time
Yes, this seems to be the problem with our neighbors too!
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Two of my dogs are not good with children under 10...they are reactive. The other dog is fine with anyone....it has nothing to do with lack of socializing the dogs to young kids, but the temperament of the dogs.
I have neighbor girls who scream while playing and I can see the reason somewhat for my dogs to react. But it is not acceptable in my opinion.
It really all boils down to genetics of the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.