German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Suddenly peeing and pooping on the floor?! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/196112-suddenly-peeing-pooping-floor.html)

PrideofTrinitysOnyx 12-10-2012 07:31 PM

Suddenly peeing and pooping on the floor?!

Onyx has been house broken for months, and the last week he has been peeing and pooping on the floor, right in front of us! And when we try to scare him to stop he just stands there and finishes his business, then goes and gets in his kennel, like "yea, I know what I did. So what?" I have no idea what brought this on but carpet cleaning is expensive and I'm getting frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

JeanKBBMMMAAN 12-10-2012 08:01 PM

I would do a vet check - urinalysis, maybe a fecal, maybe xrays of the bladder if it continued and nothing showed up. Sometimes dogs poop when they have UTIs. Mine does - my vet says it's like an open sphincter type thing.

Anything that has changed recently otherwise?

1sttimeforgsd 12-10-2012 08:01 PM

If you think that it is not a medical problem that is causing him to do it, go back to potty training him as you did when he was a pup. Don't give him the opportunity to go inside, it seems odd that he would start going in the house after being potty trained for months. :(

PrideofTrinitysOnyx 12-10-2012 08:15 PM

My husband got a new job, but he is home a lot more...so onyx isn't in his kennel as much. I can't think of anything else that had changed.

He's never in his kennel for than 4 or 5 hours except at night when we go to bed. I always have someone come over and take him out of we're not going to be home.

I'll call our vet tomorrow and see what she says.

Jag 12-10-2012 10:32 PM

My thought is that if the dog is out of the kennel more now...and you're seeing what you're seeing, then maybe the dog wasn't as house broken as you'd thought? I know we had a few back slides when Grim was out of his kennel more. We started back again from square one each time and slowly increased his 'out' time. Tethering is a great idea to stop this unless you follow the dog all over the house (which is what I did). Also decrease the amount of time in between potty breaks. Vet check is the first step, but given the timing I'm wondering if it's something non-medical.

PrideofTrinitysOnyx 12-13-2012 02:03 AM

I was home all day today and he went to the door every time he had to go. I'm thinking he was mad at me for not being home. He likes me more than my husband. Lol he did go out a lot more than usual though...so we have a vet appt scheduled for next week to have him checked out.