Overly rambunctious playing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overly rambunctious playing

I recently rescued a 1 year old GSD about two weeks ago, and have been taking her out twice daily on walks. Over the past week, I've been starting to socialize her by taking her on walks past Petsmart and taking her to dog parks.

The problem that I'm having is that she gets overly excited and rambunctious towards other dogs, and many dogs don't seem to appreciate that type of puppy behavior, especially since she's 75 lbs and most dogs she likes to get rambunctious with are smaller than her. However, she doesn't get the clue when they snap at her and she may still continue to bounce and nip at them until they full on go berserk on her.

I definitely correct her when she starts doing this, and have taken away some of her freedom privileges at the off-leash dog park, but I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions to help this process along. Her rude behavior, especially towards scaring smaller dogs at the dog park, is definitely something I want to make sure I have a good handle on.
jerryh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Doesn't your park separate small dogs from large dogs? If it doesn't I wouldn't go there.

I think GSD's play rough, that most other dogs do not appreciate it, and for sure their owners do not. So I don't randomly do the dog park. I make plans to meet with specific owners and their dogs, we all have a sort of "group think" when it comes to dogs and their social interactions and our dogs are used to each other. It cuts down on the BS with people as well as making the time safer and more fun for the dogs.

I also don't have the expectation that Huxley has to be like my lab to be "well socialized."
The dog park is a nice treat for me and for my dogs, but it is a treat. Classes and working and playing with me (at home and on planned outings) constitute our well balanced meals. I expect and train for dog neutrality from Huxley unless I have released him for play. I feel that is more important than trying to make him a "social butterfly." For many GSDs that will be like trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I know I would avoid the dog park for awhile (forever?). Both my girls can play really rough and freak out other dogs/owners. Since what I SHOULD do is just step in to calm BEFORE the chaos starts (not correct for playing, I want playing) and my timing is bad at a dog park to calm....

So I go to great dog classes where I meet people and their dogs. We get to know each other and their dogs and then make specific doggy play dates with these dogs. Too many unknowns in the dog park so too hard to control and manage.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have an amazing off leash dog park that is massive BUT I meet up with a friend and we walk our dogs through the park. When a third dog tries to join, we simply call our dogs to us and the other dog will leave LOL ... our dogs aren't fun anymore.

Ky with one dog is awesome - Ky with more than one dog is too much. Too much energy with the dogs, and not always good energy from the other dogs.

Your dog definitely needs to play, and GSDs do play rough LOL and some of them are very loud (Ky sounds like a baby lion when she plays with another GSD).

If you can, do what others have suggested, hook up with another person that has a dog that your dog likes and do play dates ...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.