German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Regarding Herro (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/195971-regarding-herro.html)

Suddenly 12-08-2012 07:37 PM

Regarding Herro

Herro arrived today at 3:30. He really is very sweet. My question is he is in his cage with a deer antler should I take it out when we go to sleep for the night. He also hasn't urinated since he's been here. Any suggestions I would like him to go before bedtime. It seems like he doesn't want to go outside and would rather be inside. I just don't want him to go in the house. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Loneforce 12-08-2012 07:42 PM

I would definitely leave nothing in the crate "UN supervised" How old is Herro? You will probably have to get up a few times for him to go potty thru the night. Untill you figure his schedule out.

Suddenly 12-08-2012 08:58 PM

Herro is 14 months old. He arrived today at 3:30. We have been taking him out every hour and he has not gone pee pee yet. The breeder took him out for his last potty break at 11pm. We will try again then. One more question. He likes being in his cage should we keep the door open and let him roam around under supervision or is ok to close the door and let him rest there since he likes it. Any help would be great.

GusGus 12-08-2012 09:13 PM

I'm no expert, but maybe he's too nervous of his brand new surroundings to let down his guard and pee just yet?

lzver 12-08-2012 09:19 PM

He's probably a little nervous ... hopefully he will go before you go to bed.

We don't leave any kind of bone in Jake's cage ... unless it's a nylabone or toy bone where there is little risk pieces will break off.

When you can supervise, I don't see an issue leaving the door to the crate open so he can come and go as he pleases. When not able to supervise, I would keep him in crate until you get to know him better and can trust him.

And we always love to see pictures :)

Suddenly 12-08-2012 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks so much for your feedback. It is very helpful to me. Here is a pic of Herro hanging out on our deck this afternoon.Attachment 23640

lzver 12-08-2012 10:06 PM

Herro is gorgeous! I hope he settles in quickly.

BowWowMeow 12-08-2012 10:07 PM

Are you taking him out on a leash? Maybe he's not used to peeing on a leash? Try taking him for a little walk and then seeing if he'll pee.

Suddenly 12-08-2012 11:38 PM

Thanks so much everyone. When we were taking him out we were going thru the back. I called my trainer and what a doll she came over and took him out the front door which he was willing to go. We took him for a walk didn't pee. Then in the backyard and he peed. Yeah. Going to sleep now. Thanks for all your help e eryone.