Help!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help!!!

Hi, I have a 7 month old intact male GSD. He plays well with other dogs but he has always been 'the man' of the house. (side not: he is getting neutered in a couple weeks.)

As of today I am fostering a 6 month old neutered pit bull/shepherd mix. The got along great during the first meetings but now that the foster is here to stay they are being NIGHTMARES!

No hard core fights yet, they don't like being separated, in fact right now they are on opposite sides of a door whining, but when together they are slowly getting a little more aggressive. I gave them both a raw hide.. foster loved his, my dog was pissed that the foster got one too and ignored his own.

I feel like I'm in over my head. Advice. Please! The foster will be here a month. Both of them are GREAT alone, but together... I wan't to kill them both.
cptduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Are you fostering for a rescue? Can you explain how this foster thing came about? I mean, if you are having a problem between two puppies, maybe the best thing to do, is to call whoever you are fostering for and get some advice.

If that is not an option, what I would do is set up two crates. Food and high value items like rawhides are only given when they are both in their crates. If toys are a problem, play with them individually.

Two puppies at once is hard a lot of the time, perhaps more often than not.

Is your boy going to training classes? Up the training.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm fostering for a girl that has to go out of town for a month. Her dog is being good. My dog is the one being a jerk. He cries when I give the foster any attention or when I separate them.
I will definitely up the training classes and do treats only when in the crate. Those are good ideas. Thank you.
It's going to be a long month.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

crate rotate both. no high value treats or bones together, keep both separated to avoid a fight. its only a month, and your dog will just have to deal with not being with the other dog... either you keep them separated or you will have a dead or badly injured dog on your hands
Honey
http://wallacethepitbull.blip.tv/file/147911/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYdlh8_p8xQ
mebully21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't know 6-7 months old dogs don't usually kill each other. And two males might fight, but not usually to the death. I think that you should play it by ear. When you cannot supervise, crate them. If things start getting overly rambunctious, separate and crate.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebully21 View Post
crate rotate both. no high value treats or bones together, keep both separated to avoid a fight. its only a month, and your dog will just have to deal with not being with the other dog... either you keep them separated or you will have a dead or badly injured dog on your hands
I should have been more descriptive. I was in the middle of that "Oh, shiz, did I make a mistake?" moment. They are not bad enough to the point where they need to be completely separated. I did separate them for meal time and have kept a very close eye on them all day. So far the biggest problem seems to be more of a jealousy issue with my guy. My hope is to figure out how to get them to the point where I don't have to constantly watch them.

They are both sleeping on the floor next to me right now... and one of them just farted.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptduke View Post
I should have been more descriptive. I was in the middle of that "Oh, shiz, did I make a mistake?" moment. They are not bad enough to the point where they need to be completely separated. I did separate them for meal time and have kept a very close eye on them all day. So far the biggest problem seems to be more of a jealousy issue with my guy. My hope is to figure out how to get them to the point where I don't have to constantly watch them.

They are both sleeping on the floor next to me right now... and one of them just farted.
Ah, all is right with the world.
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

IMO if i was babysitting someones dog and a few tiffs or fights broke out i would keep my dog and the temporary dog separated for the rest of the time the dog was here.. just my opinion, but if i was away and my friend who was watching my dog screwed up and my dog got injured or killed by their dog due to misjudgement i would be more then pissed to say the least, plus the fact its not fair to the temporary dog to get his ass whopped or to be picked on by the resident dog- some dogs will carry the incident for the rest of their lives and have issues with other dogs from that point on.... (case in point, my one dog got jumped by my friends 2 dogs, she laughed it off, i was pissed. my dog since then (2 years ago) reacts every time he sees her dogs on the street growling at them.... its not fair to my dog to have to now be reactive to other dogs ... everyone will do what they want, but when i babysit friends dogs i keep them separated from my dogs only because something can happen in an instant, and i would feel beyond horrible if my dogs did damage to the dog i was babysitting... but that is just me.
Honey
Old 12-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

ps- i see you are fostering a pit bull/shep mix... DEFINITELY keep them separated for the rest of the time he is with you. with any type of bully breed or bully mix you can NOT leave them unsupervised period... genetics is genetics and the bully breeds were bred to fight other dogs.. its in their genes. never take any chances with a bully mix to leave them alone with another dog...
Honey
Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebully21 View Post
ps- i see you are fostering a pit bull/shep mix... DEFINITELY keep them separated for the rest of the time he is with you. with any type of bully breed or bully mix you can NOT leave them unsupervised period... genetics is genetics and the bully breeds were bred to fight other dogs.. its in their genes. never take any chances with a bully mix to leave them alone with another dog...
These boys are NEVER unsupervised by me. If I can't be in the same room, they are crated. So far today is much better. They have had a couple little "i'm the boss" moments, but that seems to be mostly when they are outside. And they settle immediately when I tell them to. I even got them to calm down enough for me to have them both do a couple very basic tricks together.
I followed Selzer's advice and that seems to be helping. Also, I'm keeping a very close eye and putting a lot of effort into them. With them being so young, and seeing progress today, I really don't think they need to be separated unless I can't watch them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.