Behavior puzzling me a bit... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Behavior puzzling me a bit...

Nala and Axel have been getting along pretty well.. a few minor arguments, no "fighting". Tonight they were getting a bit rowdy... I was keeping an eye on it, so it didn't get nasty. Axel even picked up a sock, danced around her until she grabbed it, and they had a very nice game of tug-of-war About 30 minutes later, Axel picks up a hot wheels car (belongs to my 5 year old...LOL!) and does the happy dance around her again. She starts jumping around and biting at him...he was obviously getting a little mad (hackles up, growling), but wouldn't put down the car. She gets hostile and starts biting him and growling. I seperated them a couple times, and let him keep the car... (I know a dog shouldn't have a hot wheels in their mouth...but was interested in the behavior), she attacked him, not in a serious "I'm gonna kill you" kinda way, but pretty firmly and loudly. He dropped the car, and it appeared they were escalating in anger, so I took the car, and ended this "game". They know to listen to me when I tell them to stop it. What were they thinking?! Arguing over a toy car? I am tired, maybe I'm missing something here.... It was just funny at first He entices her to chase him, then gets mad when she does, then she decides to attack him??? They crack me up, but this was just strangeness...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Could it be that she knew the toy belonged to your 5-year old and she just wanted to let Axel know it wasn't his toy to play with?

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
KSdogowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSdogowner View Post
Could it be that she knew the toy belonged to your 5-year old and she just wanted to let Axel know it wasn't his toy to play with?
That's possible. She has bonded with my 5 year old ALOT. Axel will do this TO my 5 year old as well... he will pick up a toy he knows he's not supposed to have just to get Tyler to scream and chase him. Axel seems to think this is hilarious... when I get up and give him "that look", he will drop it, and walk over to me head down, wagging, like "I know..but it's FUN!"... yes, our family is a little strange... LOL!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedtrucker View Post
That's possible. She has bonded with my 5 year old ALOT. Axel will do this TO my 5 year old as well... he will pick up a toy he knows he's not supposed to have just to get Tyler to scream and chase him. Axel seems to think this is hilarious... when I get up and give him "that look", he will drop it, and walk over to me head down, wagging, like "I know..but it's FUN!"... yes, our family is a little strange... LOL!
My oldest dog(non GSD) use to steal my nieces bottles. Yep she would grab the bottle as they were drinking and run across the room and the baby is crying hysterically. My dog got a kick out of it and now when I tell them the story they laugh.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC
Brennan- Golden Retriever

"A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you
more than he loves himself."
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.