displeased with holiday stress. (non GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lightbulb displeased with holiday stress. (non GSD)

Ivan my border collie mix is most unhappy with me. I have been stuck working extra hours not only at work but also with school as finals week is next week.

Over the last couple of days he has started showing his displeasure by getting into things he is not supposed to. Earlier this week he grabbed a small bag of rice out of the pantry and spread it across the dog yard. Yesterday it was a torn to shreds paperback. I have increased his exercise and given him extra cuddles but he is still unhappy that I have been so busy. He is bored and finding his own entertainment. I have to work again this afternoon on my normal day off.

I need ideas or suggestions for getting through these next two weeks after that I have a week off and then my schedule goes back to more normal hours. I'm in the middle of nowhere so there are no doggie daycares, and their are no neighbors to hire to come play with him. He has a basket full of toys and Buddy and Tasha (German Shepherds) for company.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know. We crate our troublemakers
(but we are rarely gone for more than 4-5hrs. at the most)
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I don't know. We crate our troublemakers
(but we are rarely gone for more than 4-5hrs. at the most)
Normally we are only gone for 4 or 5 hours as well. This next two weeks are just really unusual for us. Our busy times rarely collide like this. Ivan normally isn't a trouble maker and has been solid out of the crate for months.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Well if he's good in the crate at least you'll know 1) he's safe (he's not chewing up anything deadly and 2) your home is safe (he's not chewing anything costly or important).
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Totally agree with msvette. Time for the crate. Our dogs are so sensitive to changes in their schedules. My GSD came home from the shelter at age two. She was not destructive and never needed to be crated. A few years later, my father got sick. I was back and forth to the hospital at odd times. My GSD chewed up my watch, a cell phone and a table leg. She went into the crate. Something to chew. Soft music on the radio. She was fine. For your sanity and Ivan's safety, put him in the crate.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
Totally agree with msvette. Time for the crate. Our dogs are so sensitive to changes in their schedules. My GSD came home from the shelter at age two. She was not destructive and never needed to be crated. A few years later, my father got sick. I was back and forth to the hospital at odd times. My GSD chewed up my watch, a cell phone and a table leg. She went into the crate. Something to chew. Soft music on the radio. She was fine. For your sanity and Ivan's safety, put him in the crate.
I am not comfortable leaving him the crate for that long. So I went back to the puppy solution and limited them to the spa room (nothing reachable for him to harm) and outdoor run. He dug out. Luckily his run is within a larger fenced acreage so he met my husband at the gate. Spent this morning fixing the spot where he dug out. He won't be getting out of that spot again. I think I'm going to try what someone else suggested on facebook, freezing some kongs with yummy good stuff inside and leaving them with that. He has plenty of toys but I think if he has something extra yummy to chew on it may help.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

5 hrs. is definitely not too long for a dog to be in a crate, but it's your home
Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
5 hrs. is definitely not too long for a dog to be in a crate, but it's your home
5 hours wouldn't be bad and that is the normal time I'm gone. The next two weeks it is more like 10 hours and that is too long for Ivan without a potty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.