Caesar doesn't listen to my husband. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Caesar doesn't listen to my husband.

We don't have too much back story on Caesar since we just got him on 12-2-12, but what I know is this. Caesar is a one year old unaltered male. He was intended as a show dog by the breeder but they couldn't find an appropriate show home so they sold him as a companion. His parents have very pleasant feminists and he is in good health. He didn't have a lot of training but I can tell (when I am able to get his attention) that he knows how to sit an lay down, and is used to being touched everywhere. I noticed right away that he was more comfortable with women because he let me pet him right away but not my brother who went with me to get him. Upon getting Caesar home we noticed all the usual "nerves"...not peeing while on a leash, wanting to stay in his kennel, etc... It seems now (12-6-13) that he is much more comfortable with me, comes when called for the most part, and is starting to respond to my training (although he still refuses to use potty when I'm around...not sure how to train him with that). With my husband however, he is completely standoffish, ignores him completely, and will even run behind me when my husband enters the room. On the days that I go into work first my husband feeds the dogs but Caesar won't even leave his kennel if Eric is the only one around. Last night we tried this: I stood behind my husband with a clicker while my husband held a piece of hotdog (which is the only treat he'll eat). I called Caesar and when he came over my husband fed him the treat. Our hope is that he'll start to associate my husband with good things. I guess my question is, how do we help Caesar to be more comfortable around men? My fear is that this is something that won't go away and I don't want indifference or fear to turn into aggression as Caesar get's older. So I'm asking for help and advice from all you loverly people.

Other details that may or may not be important. We have a 3yr old denial bluehealer (altered) that Caesar is just in love with and it seems like she is actually helping with training as he follows her when I give commands.
He and our other dog stay in the back yard during work. I take him on short walk (for training) and then I take them both for a walk together. When we are home they are inside hanging out with us the whole time.Caesar doesn't listen to my husband.-imageuploadedbypg-free1354823035.008968.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
CaesarsPalace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Correction: his parents have pleasant demeanors. I have yet to meet a pleasant feminist

Old 12-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Mind Games (version 1.0) by M. Shirley Chong

Try these - both implement.

But also we'd have suggested a "two week shut down" for an adult (nearly adult in this case) coming into a home with other dogs especially.

The dog sounds as if he's forming an unhealthy attachment to you, which should be discouraged (gently) as he goes through this "honeymoon phase" into your home.

This is a PDF but explains the shut-down period which is basically a "settling in" time for the dog. Keep in mind he's not isolated but keep things very low key.

http://www.bigdogsbighearts.com/2_week_shutdown0001.pdf

Do as much of it you feel the dog needs and above all, play it by ear with him.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Is it too late to start the two weeks thing? I've only taken him on a couple walks and only tried teaching him "sit" and "come." Should he be tied to my husband around the house? And how do I discourage his unhealthy attachment to me?

Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Well just ignore it. Don't reward or praise it for sure.
No, it's not too late for the two week thing, you can cease training other than playing (on outside breaks) and leashing.
Yes you can try leashing dog to hubby. Perhaps in the yard for now.
We encourage leashing the dog to new person or people even if they didn't do the whole two week shut down.

The idea is to get it to the point where the dog isn't making decisions - while leashed or crated you're controlling his space, and that's a good thing.

The whole dog-owner interaction at this point should be, dog makes no decisions on his own - especially - ignoring your husband is a big decision for him.

So you take that process away. Don't give a command you can't follow up on, don't let hubby give a command he can't follow up on.
For instance, "come" or "sit". Those things aren't to be mentioned during this time.
That way the dog cannot fail.

Leashing the dog to you or hubby takes those choices away.
At the MOST, when the dog sits (on his own accord) catch him sitting and say "GOOD sit!!"

That's about it for training right now
Old 12-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

something I would do, (as it sounds like this boy was most likely around alot more 'women' than men) is have your husband feed him his meals, in fact have him HAND feed him his meals..Just sit, feed him, no talking, just do it

Have your husband carry treats around, and just toss them to him off and on..hopefully he'll start associating the 'food=good things=your husband"

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you both! The breeder he was with was a couple who show their dogs and also run the GSD rescue of South Central NM. Both the man and the woman work with the dogs so I don't thing it is necessarily fear of men, just a choice not to let my husband near him.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just an update. These are already working!!! Caesar is by my side whenever I am home and then when Eric comes home he immediately goes to him. He's much more comfortable now and will even let Eric put him on hi side and back. We stopped going for walks, separated potty times and play times, and Caesar is learning not to just go for his food bowl unless told. Thanks you guys!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaesarsPalace View Post
Just an update. These are already working!!! Caesar is by my side whenever I am home and then when Eric comes home he immediately goes to him. He's much more comfortable now and will even let Eric put him on hi side and back. We stopped going for walks, separated potty times and play times, and Caesar is learning not to just go for his food bowl unless told. Thanks you guys!

Isn't it cool, when you implement it and it just fast tracks?
I've used it so much and seen immediate improvement, I never know why anyone would oppose it, but some do

What's nice is you can carry these over into your every day life even after the dog is settled in.
It's an excellent way to establish leadership in your home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.