Adult male GSD and small puppies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Adult male GSD and small puppies?

So, I have a 5yo male GSD and he has always been VERY good with small puppies although he is not around them very often sinse we do not have any.

But our breeder used to have a group of dog buyers that would meet every saturday for an hour or so - socialization and some show and some OB training and there would be all ages of dogs (5-15 total as it varied) in a group.

Baron has always been VERY good with the little ones - even on ocassion having them jum on his head while he was laying down in front of them.

I never thoughyt that this behavior was very remarkable to me, nice but to be expected.

BUT NOT for many folks evidently! Seems like this IS very remarkable for their adult GSD's. Even our very experienced and very well known breeder seemed surprised as she was at first most reluctant to let the little ones near the adults. (And with many of the adults it seemed to be justified!)

But I am curious as to how the rest of you feel - would you expect your adult GSD to be trustworthy with small (10-16 weeks or so old or maybe a little older) puppies.

In two ways - outright aggression or just being too rough with them (I.E. whacking the little guys with a big paw).

BTW, my has been known to be DA with certain other dominant acting adults.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hmmm, I think my dog would play but I not sure he would know to be gentle. After all he is just a big puppy him self.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

WD is a rough player with buddies his own size but he plays very gentle with the young pups and let them play all over him. It is impressive to see. I was ab.solutely amazed to see the difference in him.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Koda is picky with adults and older pups, but she plays mommy to young pups. Same with kittens, a baby squirrel and a baby raccoon we cared for once. She is very aware of what is and isn't a baby.Generally she tries to nurse them. From when she turned two, she has been exposed to pups/kittens from newborns to four months (: I have never hesitated to let her interact with them. She's an adoptive mommy
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Dogs of all genders have to learn to be gentle when responding to puppies--it's not always innate.

Some males are not at all tolerant and do not enjoy puppies. Very few adult, un-neutered males actually enjoy playing with puppies.

I do expect my boys to tolerate and move away from the puppies as needed.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Our two girls play with my MILs pup. We introduced them when her pup was about 10-11 weeks. I was nervous about introducing Zoey, but she did great. Both mine will play with him and both will discipline him as well.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stark is a almost 4 year old intact male and he has always enjoyed being around puppies.

He is very gentle and softens his play accordingly. He, like any dog can get carried away and become rough so I monitor it just in case, but overall he is very tolerant and gentle.

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have videos of Stark playing with my friends pups as well.. just have to find them!

elisabeth_00117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

I do not trust Raven (5 yr old female) with puppies or female dogs. She way over corrects and is just picky about the dogs she likes in general. Kaiser (3 yr old male) is great with all kinds of dogs, puppies included.

Suprisingly, Holly (1.5 yr old female) who is my fear aggressive dog and very dog reactive is actually okay puppies but she doesn't really "play".

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Interesting discussion! Thanks to all!

Now regardless of hour dog will treat little puppies, how do you think a mature (fixed or not as i don't think it should make any difference at all) GSD SHOULD be around little puppies.

I think that they should tolerate almost any behavior from them and if the pup gets to be too much either walk away or preferably gently correct the pup so they can learn proper doggy behavior.

I do realize that certainly not all will act this way, but then again, not all GSD's are courageous protectors either!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.