Would you let your dog pull a child on a sled? (in snow, of course) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Would you let your dog pull a child on a sled? (in snow, of course)

Have you ever had your GSD pull a sled in the snow?
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
We don't have snow, but we used to have a competition where Jäger pulled people on a plasma cart after someone with a sleeve a hundred yards away. Whoever stayed on the longest was declared the winner.

Plasma cart:
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Oh I plan to!!!! I'm getting a dog sled for Kyleigh, and as soon as the snow comes to Ottawa, I'm going to start training her!

My nephew is 6 and he is soooo looking forward to it!!!

BUT ... my nephew will be sitting on the chair, and I'll be standing behind the chair ... so he won't be alone, and I won't be letting Ky run full tilt!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I've had dogs pull little red wagons with our children in them. We had a goat we trained to pull a wagon as well. Not as successful as the dogs, but it was great fun. I've had dogs lead little ponies around the pasture with children riding the ponies.

As long as your careful and the kids / dogs are supervised, I see no problem with it at all.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

I've let my dogs pull my younger siblings in sleds and wagons but only with me walking them on a leash. I didn't trust them to not take off after a squirrel with my 5 year old sister attached The only caution I would take is pay attention to if your dog truly likes pulling... I had a couple that seemed really confused and anxious if I asked them to pull anything, although I blame that on them being older (4 or 5) and having had years of training to NOT pull

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
When you say "sled" do you mean a sled for kids to go sledding on or a real dog sled? Also how old is the child?

I have had my last GSD pull my kids in the snow, but they were over the age of 13 and were in an area that was clear of trees, etc...
Old 12-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

after working with Bruce Langmaid a professional competitive sled dog racer , Iditarod and Yukon Quest, I bought his gorgeous hand crafted Quebec artisan made sled which he was retiring to get a more high tech, lighter weight sled for competition.
I would be invited to my sons primary grades school and the kids all got rides around the perimeter.

It takes training before - sound on go and stop , directions left right, and turn arounds .

Very important is that the dog is physically sound . That the equipment be correct so that the dogs pulling effort is correctly distrubted , and that the dog be of a temperament to enjoy it .

Control is necessary . You can not have a dog bolting , especially with a child on the ride.

These same dogs were trained to pull a wheeled cart also.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

That's the only thing I don't know yet ... will she like it? I'm hoping she'll love it because I really need something that gets us out in the winter (since I hate winter, and can't ski to save my life!)

The guy that is building it for me is awesome - He asked me a million questions about Kyleigh - height, weight, physical fitness, etc. I should have it by mid-December! It's a chair on skis with a place for me to stand behind the chair. This way my nephew has somewhere to sit, while I control Kyleigh ...

If it doesn't work this year, there's always next year. Certainly don't have to worry about not getting snow in Ottawa (mind you it's +5 and raining today LOL)
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would, but I'd get a proper pulling harness instead of letting the neck take all the pressure with a regular flat collar.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
That's the only thing I don't know yet ... will she like it? I'm hoping she'll love it because I really need something that gets us out in the winter (since I hate winter, and can't ski to save my life!)

The guy that is building it for me is awesome - He asked me a million questions about Kyleigh - height, weight, physical fitness, etc. I should have it by mid-December! It's a chair on skis with a place for me to stand behind the chair. This way my nephew has somewhere to sit, while I control Kyleigh ...

If it doesn't work this year, there's always next year. Certainly don't have to worry about not getting snow in Ottawa (mind you it's +5 and raining today LOL)
Just out of curiosity, can one dog really pull an adult or even two people? I've just always seen multiple dogs used to pull people.

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.