Would you let your dog pull a child on a sled? (in snow, of course) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #31 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

We would have to do it in red mud....somehow....I...think..it...would not be the same.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master Member

I would. If your dog goes crazy over critters teach your kid to jump out. Bailing out of my sled in a sticky (or should I say slippery?) Situation always worked out best for me. Probably saved me from great injury..
GusGus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #33 (permalink)

My dogs have always love to pull children in the snow! Be forwarned - they want to go fast. I teach mine to go, stop, slow, left and right on leash without being attached to anything. I've always used properly fitted weight pulling harnesses and usually a cheap childrens sled. The steering is bad so keep away from roads but they really do enjoy it.
One adult gsd can certainly pull an adult person. I'm not a very big person but my dogs have all been able to pull me by myself. Mind you not for long distances or at high speeds though. But two gsds, a good trail, the gt snowracer and me and the games on. Once they get going they can pull me quite fast and for half an hour or so anyways.
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think this is a must " I teach mine to go, stop, slow, left and right on leash without being attached to anything"
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Oh I plan to!!!! I'm getting a dog sled for Kyleigh, and as soon as the snow comes to Ottawa, I'm going to start training her!
Ottawa would be a great place to do that. I lived there for 18 months going to St. Paul University up on Main. Can you take her down on the canal? I'm surprised you don't have snow now! I remember last seeing dirt there at the end of October, lol!
Thors_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 AM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's only a must if you have an older kid who doesn't want parents walking the dog. no matter how well I train my dog, I wouldn't turn him loose with my 2 yr old on the sled behind him....

Mostly, our son will get a kick out of being pulled around by the dog so that's our reason for doing it. And a little less work perhaps for us to not drag him around.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Ottawa would be a great place to do that. I lived there for 18 months going to St. Paul University up on Main. Can you take her down on the canal? I'm surprised you don't have snow now! I remember last seeing dirt there at the end of October, lol!
You would think!!!! It rained all day yesterday and was +5 ... so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed!

Kyleigh already knows left / right and stop, so it's just the GO part, and keeping it at a normal speed.

My nephew is "all-boy" so if he wipes out, he'll think it's a blast and want to do it again.

I don't think I'm allowed to do it on the canal, but I'm friends with farmers and people that live "rurally" so I have lots of places that we can go.

My nephew will NEVER be allowed on it without me either leading Kyleigh, or me standing behind him on the chair.

He's only 6, and loves speed, and I could just see him encouraging Ky to go faster!!!!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

My GSD is so strong I think she was an Alaskan malamute in another life. She would love to be a sled dog.
Jrnabors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.