Kira taught me a lesson in confidence building. - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's good Anthony . Kira never seemed to have a problem being out in the trails with you . Early on when she was still a pup you had a youtube??
This is not her issue with being insecure so I don't want you to over estimate her confidence for those situations which have social pressure whether it be with other dogs or a room full of people. You will still need to manage those for Kira's benefit.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Petstages Durable Stick - Toys - Dog - PetSmart

We got our dogs these, as they like to carry in sticks from outside when the wind knocks them off the trees
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
That's good Anthony . Kira never seemed to have a problem being out in the trails with you . Early on when she was still a pup you had a youtube??
This is not her issue with being insecure so I don't want you to over estimate her confidence for those situations which have social pressure whether it be with other dogs or a room full of people. You will still need to manage those for Kira's benefit.

Yes Carmen. This is true. She was always fine in that scenario. If anything, it's nice to have a stress - free spot for her. That's her llittle playground.

As far as other dogs... I'm done with that 100%. I don't feel the need to expose her anymore. I honestly learned my lesson. I promise NEVER to put her in harm's way again.

And yes, the room full of people... Had a holiday gathering just last night. This time, I put her crate in the formal living room, and she slept the night away. Never heard a single sound from her.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Petstages Durable Stick - Toys - Dog - PetSmart

We got our dogs these, as they like to carry in sticks from outside when the wind knocks them off the trees

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I'll pick up a couple today.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Luka did the same thing when she finally figured out the spiral staircase.

At first, she would NOT go down the staircase further than a couple of steps.

I encouraged her, put food on the steps, etc... no way was she going down there.

Finally, I picked up her feet and placed them, one by one, down each step, sort of pulling her along kicking and screaming.

She made it down the steps, and was SO happy that she was still alive, she did this little dance at the bottom, then we went back up the steps, and back down, this time she did not hesitate. Then she was so pleased with herself, she started running up and down the steps by herself. It was really cute. She still loves going down to the basement just for the heck of it... also we keep the cats' litter boxes down there, so there's usually a wonderful reward awaiting.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

GSD are thinkers...I love this trait they have
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post

Geez... This place just keeps throwing one challenge after the other at me
Hahaha... poor Anthony. No matter what he does, someone's gotta tell him it's wrong.

It's true about the sticks, though. I discourage my dogs from playing with them, but sometimes they just have to have something to put in their mouths.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Luka did the same thing when she finally figured out the spiral staircase.

At first, she would NOT go down the staircase further than a couple of steps.

I encouraged her, put food on the steps, etc... no way was she going down there.

Finally, I picked up her feet and placed them, one by one, down each step, sort of pulling her along kicking and screaming.

She made it down the steps, and was SO happy that she was still alive, she did this little dance at the bottom, then we went back up the steps, and back down, this time she did not hesitate. Then she was so pleased with herself, she started running up and down the steps by herself. It was really cute. She still loves going down to the basement just for the heck of it... also we keep the cats' litter boxes down there, so there's usually a wonderful reward awaiting.
Haha.. So smart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
GSD are thinkers...I love this trait they have
Yes, I see this. I always see her think her way through things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
Hahaha... poor Anthony. No matter what he does, someone's gotta tell him it's wrong.

It's true about the sticks, though. I discourage my dogs from playing with them, but sometimes they just have to have something to put in their mouths.
When I got married, it was "for better, for worse".. I did NOT have this in mind I need to have my marriage license amended to include the GSD forum.

But in all fairness, I do realize that everybody does mean well. We're all dog lovers, and we take their health and safety very serious. I like constructive criticism. I do my best to absorb as much as possible.

I'd bet there arent too many dog owners, that are aware of the dangers of having their dog playing fetch with a stick. I was one of them.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I didn't realize the dangers of sticks until Luka stabbed the roof of her mouth while trying to catch one. Didn't keep her from wanting to play with them, though! I try to keep a collection of toys outdoors so she can have something to put in her mouth. Otherwise, she's prone to run up to me with an old fenceboard with rusty nails sticking out of it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Speaking of sticks my parents female likes to break smaller sticks. She had this awful smell & they couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from....just her upper body area. Took her to the vet and she had a tink stick lodged in the roof of her mouth...it became infected. It was pretty gross.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.