Any tips for dog and cat getting along - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any tips for dog and cat getting along

Well they don't have to get along, I'd be super happy if they ignored each other TBH. Cat was here first, dog came 2 weeks ago (9 months old). When we got her we were told she was sweet with cats and just ignores them...umm thats not happening here lol.

As soon as she spots the cat she goes completely insane! I've been trying to get them to meet (don't want the cat stressed out as we love her very much) so they can sniff each other, the cat is up for that but the dog just can't contain herself. She whines, barks and lunges and starts spinning around. When she's outside (the dog) she goes nuts running from window to window around the yard to look in the windows. I'm sure she just wants to play with the cat but she's scaring the crap out of her and this can't go on.

So what would you do? I've tried leash correction, water spray and telling her to leave it and none work when she's in this frenzy. Tried rewarding her when shes good but that goes out the window when she gets close enough. Would it be too soon to try a shock collar? what else is there to try? Or do I just keep trying what I'm already doing? (when we got her she had killed chickens and we do not what the cat killed, they will ALWAYS be supervised!)

I've read multiple articles online about it but none seem to fit our situation. I can't leash correct or water spray her when shes outside the window ad it would take too long and she won't know what shes done wrong (not that it makes a difference when I do do it in time)

Should also note we don't have a dog crate so can't try that. We do have a cat crate but I don't want to put her in one while the dog sniffs around her and stresses her out in a tiny confined place

The cat is fine when there is a window between them, she knows she's safe

Any help is much appreciated

**I have already read quite a few threads on here **
GSDSadie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had this trouble at first, cat was rescued first and then we bought a puppy king shepard a month later. The cat tree definitely helped and we have many high hiding places for him. Mainly we needed to teach the puppy to be more gentle and it took a lot of "over reacting" when she'd play or nip. They still get in the odd fight but they cuddle occasionally ! Also depends on how deep your dog goes into prey drive

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
PeyBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeyBoss View Post
I had this trouble at first, cat was rescued first and then we bought a puppy king shepard a month later. The cat tree definitely helped and we have many high hiding places for him. Mainly we needed to teach the puppy to be more gentle and it took a lot of "over reacting" when she'd play or nip. They still get in the odd fight but they cuddle occasionally ! Also depends on how deep your dog goes into prey drive

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thanks for that I'm right now uploading a vid of what she does when she sees the cat as I want to know if she's just wanting to play or she wants to kill her. I've asked somewhere else and they've said what I've described she wants to kill the cat
Old 12-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

How did you learn she was "sweet" with cats?
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Question

be harsh and correct her act like the cat is your kid pretend it is a baby what would you do then? People just aren't strict enough. My cat and dog are best friends its simple but you gota be strict and act like if your dog lays a paw on the cat the dog will be seeing god. Sorry but thats how it works here.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ellen View Post
How did you learn she was "sweet" with cats?
The previous owners told us. They have 2 cats of their own
Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Our GSD pup was a bit like this, and I wore him out good with a walk/jog and then when we came back home, we put a prong collar on him (he was around 8mos. or so).
I knew he was fine w/the cat, just really curious. So we got closer to kitty and kitty didn't run (our cat was almost killed by a foster so got skittish of dogs, I don't blame him!)
I kept Ruger very close and let him sniff the cat and after he was able to, he settled down and just hung out near the cat.

He doesn't act so nuts about it now.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Heres the vid if anyone can give me some insight DSCF0250.mp4 video by Dogworx | Photobucket
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

My GSD Sage (who is 2 and a half) acts much the same way since I got my kitten. If I put Sage outside, and bring the kitty in the living room, Sage runs from window to window, looking in.

The Siamese is 7 months old and is very tiny and delicate, so I have to keep them separate.

Sage has insane prey drive, and wants to eat the cat (which isn't surprising, since she tried to eat a sheep during one of her herding instinct tests). It's been rocky going. I've had the cat for 3 months now, and we are still working on "leave the kitty alone".

I had to start out with the cat on my lap. Sage got treated for sitting calmly (she's very food driven). We've now progressed to getting to "give the kitty a kiss" (big slobbery lick on the head). Since she wants to touch the cat badly, the "kiss" works for her.

Sage did try to leap over my head at one point early on, making a grab for the cat. I happened to be sitting on the floor, and deliberately knocked a bar stool over in her direction. It didn't hit her, but scared the bejeebies out of her. Apparently if you try to snack on the cat, furniture starts falling from the sky. She has been considerably better since then. Not that I advocate throwing furniture...

We still haven't progressed to letting the cat loose in the living room with the dogs. I can sit and watch TV with the cat, and both dogs go lie down on the rug and behave themselves.

Next step is having one dog at a time, ON LEASH, in the living room with the cat loose. I'll let you know how that works out.

Carly ~ AKC Ch, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ future show dog
Zelda ~ 14 yo puppymill rescue Italian Greyhound
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
My GSD Sage (who is 2 and a half) acts much the same way since I got my kitten. If I put Sage outside, and bring the kitty in the living room, Sage runs from window to window, looking in.

The Siamese is 7 months old and is very tiny and delicate, so I have to keep them separate.

Sage has insane prey drive, and wants to eat the cat (which isn't surprising, since she tried to eat a sheep during one of her herding instinct tests). It's been rocky going. I've had the cat for 3 months now, and we are still working on "leave the kitty alone".

I had to start out with the cat on my lap. Sage got treated for sitting calmly (she's very food driven). We've now progressed to getting to "give the kitty a kiss" (big slobbery lick on the head). Since she wants to touch the cat badly, the "kiss" works for her.

Sage did try to leap over my head at one point early on, making a grab for the cat. I happened to be sitting on the floor, and deliberately knocked a bar stool over in her direction. It didn't hit her, but scared the bejeebies out of her. Apparently if you try to snack on the cat, furniture starts falling from the sky. She has been considerably better since then. Not that I advocate throwing furniture...

We still haven't progressed to letting the cat loose in the living room with the dogs. I can sit and watch TV with the cat, and both dogs go lie down on the rug and behave themselves.

Next step is having one dog at a time, ON LEASH, in the living room with the cat loose. I'll let you know how that works out.

This is just what I want
"I can sit and watch TV with the cat, and both dogs go lie down on the rug and behave themselves."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.