A video showing dominance/submission that I made - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #101 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
If Katya bows up at a male in public if I get her to realize its a male, she is fine.. all aggression or dominant behavior vanishes. Not so with a female.
Understandably so - females instinctively want to dominate other females and males instinctively want to dominate other males - which is why many people say "two females don't do well together". Females feel this strongly because it is them who breed, and the right to breed is something to really fight for.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
are the 2 females submissive to koel? like if its just the 3 of them is he usually the alpha?
Not sure about the OP.... but in my dogs the interactions between male and female are very very different than same-sex interactions. So the "alpha" terminolgy then can be misleading. My males will let the females do things and even be the Boss when it comes to certain situations.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #103 (permalink)
Elite Member

my dog acts like females and males are on the same level does she have issues or something lol she does not see a bitch or a male any diff

the worst fight she ever got into was a nutered male and she wanted him dead and shes not dog aggressive at all
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #104 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Not sure about the OP.... but in my dogs the interactions between male and female are very very different than same-sex interactions. So the "alpha" terminolgy then can be misleading. My males will let the females do things and even be the Boss when it comes to certain situations.
same with mine. Katya does the exact same thing Jäger does to Koal, but with Aska.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #105 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
This is pre-foster, but so you understand the difference between bullying (taking everything) and simply claiming what is rightfully theirs. You'll see mutual respect among all dogs.

Katya didn't feel well, but guarded her bowl for hours. Jäger patiently waits. If he approached, she growled, I allowed it, and he respected that it was hers.
Katya guarding food - YouTube

And statements on the internet are next to useless, so here is proof we all eat together with no issues.
Dogs eating together - YouTube
Your household is exactly like mine. The only dog that growled over her bowl was Indra because she is so much slower. She had to growl a couple of times and claim her bowl and ever since then, they leave her alone and respect her space. That's so much better than me going constantly in, correcting or yelling, or doing the "AH AH!" thing.

The only real bully in the house is Ma Deuce.
She is a bully. She likes to go for Indras and Nala's ears. No one can't get close to me when she's with me. She will lift her lips. That's something I had to correct because that is something I won't accept in the house.

It really depends on the situation and what the dogs are actually doing.
In the morning, when I let them out, I put a nylon muzzle on Ma because she's seriously snapping the other dogs ears. Not out of aggression but out of excitement and to protect their ears, she's wearing a muzzle. Once she's steamed off that energy that makes her snap like a crazy witch, I take it off.

Honestly, we all have our own pack. We all have different, yet similar believes. We have to use what works for our pack and not what works for other people. What works for me, may not work for you and what works for you may not work for me.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #106 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.K View Post
Honestly, we all have our own pack. We all have different, yet similar believes. We have to use what works for our pack and not what works for other people. What works for me, may not work for you and what works for you may not work for me.
Very well said!

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #107 (permalink)
Elite Member

mrs k ur other bitches must not all be fully mature yet there is no way they will put up with that for long. I don't believe it. not 3 high drive working bitches. Ma dece will get nailed bad sooner or later and once it starts it wont stop.

by fully mature at least 3 or 4 years

Last edited by pets4life; 11-28-2012 at 05:00 PM.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
I've had this too though in my case my intact male GSDs always treat Coke like a female. Nikon will sometimes even sniff his urine and drool or chatter like he does with female urine, but Coke for all intents and purposes is a female to them. He was neutered very young (probably around 10 weeks, he was a rescue and I didn't adopt him until he was 1.5 years old) and acts very female as far as never lifting a leg, never marking, being submissive to the males and the males really paying him very little attention at all. They pretty much ignore him whereas if another intact male does the same sort of thing they will take notice or might correct. It's funny to watch other male dogs interact with him.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #109 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Wolf View Post
So fascinating!

You have taken on the role of the most dominant member of your family group. Jäger has assumed the "Beta" position, acting as your true enforcer (he takes dominance in your absence and takes dominance over every other member but you [I assume]). Katya's enforcer behaviour stems from her solid position in the pack -- whether that be dominant, submissive or somewhere in between -- and is a direct result of the stability in your little "pack" and her desire to keep said stability. She "enforces" the established hierarchy by assisting in the rituals.

Jäger's behaviour during the time when Koal was jumping on him and biting on him was the mark of a true, stable dominant mind (regardless of whether or not he submits to you). He was being fair and giving warning without attacking out of mental instability, giving Koal the chance to "listen to reason" before the real discipline would arise. Jäger's response by doing nothing but making noise and showing teeth gave Koal the information that

1) Jäger is dominant over him and that behaviour is unacceptable
2) Jäger is fair and stable, but if Koal continues to push Jäger's response will escalate into something more serious. First, with a serious correction/discipline and if that does not work or Koal rises to the challenge - a fight (sometimes fatal, but not usually).
Interestingly this made me think of a behaviour Jäger always does. When I have multiple dogs in the car and I stop somewhere, be it to pump gas or go into get groceries or whatever, Jäger has always jumped into the drivers seat and sat there. As soon as I open the door he jumps out of it. Wonder if he puts significance on the driver seat since, from his perspective, every single time he has ever been in my vehicle, I've been in that seat.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #110 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am surprised no one has mentioned all the tongue flicking that Jager does while he is snarling. That is very much behavior saying "I really don't want to fight" right in the middle of him making that snarl.

The other thing that is interesting is how inhibited his snarl is--it's almost a grin, with that tongue flicking in the middle ofit.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.