Can you explain this behavior? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can you explain this behavior?

Hi guys,

There's a behavior that I can't understand exactly why it happens, thought I categorized it as a control issue. I've seen very few dogs doing it, and there's also an episode of Dog Whisperer in which a dog does it. I'll use the example of a dog of someone I know to explain what it is.

Whenever we are in this dog's territory (the room where he eats and sleeps), if a guest tries to leave the room, he would go attack the guest. This also happened with one of the owners.
This is not common, since the most common ones would be attacking guests for entering the territory or feeling insecure during the guest's stay; and then it also happened to one of the owners.

What do you think about this kind of behavior?

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 11-27-2012 at 10:13 AM.
sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'd say that the person leaving (in the dogs eyes, he pushed the person into avoidance) has given the dog the confidence boost it needed to follow through with engaging, which it wanted to do all along? are the bite fast, with the canines, and rapid bite-release-barking-repeat or bite and hold firm?
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterisgreat View Post
I'd say that the person leaving (in the dogs eyes, he pushed the person into avoidance) has given the dog the confidence boost it needed to follow through with engaging, which it wanted to do all along? are the bite fast, with the canines, and rapid bite-release-barking-repeat or bite and hold firm?
When you've said "the person leaving (in the dogs eyes, he pushed the person into avoidance) has given the dog the confidence boost it needed to follow through with engaging", it would seem to make sense if an owner was not involved. But it also happened to one of the owners, which is why it's a bit hard to understand. About the kind of bites, the time when he bid me (I'm a guest), it seemed an attempt to hold me and not let me get out, but he was held by one of the owners at time so all he did was a small pull of my pants (he's a small dog).
With one of the owners, I'm not sure how it was since I wasn't there, but the person said that the dog basically attacked and delivered multiple bites while jumping.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
I think that's a good guess (always guessing if we aren't there or have the whole picture). Alot of time fearful dogs only get confidence when the object of their fear turns away or is leaving. Plus is makes them feel in control as they 'chase' the person/thing away.

plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I think that's a good guess (always guessing if we aren't there or have the whole picture). Alot of time fearful dogs only get confidence when the object of their fear turns away or is leaving. Plus is makes them feel in control as they 'chase' the person/thing away.

It would make complete sense if an owner wasn't involved, but in this case, one of the owners is being attacked from time to time. This owner is a softer one, not firm nor assertive and is afraid of the dog whenever she has to leave the room.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The owner being involved doesn't change what I said.
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The owner being involved doesn't change what I said.
But what you said wouldn't imply the intention of attacking before the leaving of the owner happens? Yet it doesn't seem the dog wanted to attack the owner if leaving doesn't take place.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep View Post
It would make complete sense if an owner wasn't involved, but in this case, one of the owners is being attacked from time to time. This owner is a softer one, not firm nor assertive and is afraid of the dog whenever she has to leave the room.
So the dog likes to dominate the owner, and the owner lets it do so. The dog gets that little burst of confidence every time she walks away (leaving the room), and goes on the attack. What's to ponder about that?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
So the dog likes to dominate the owner, and the owner lets it do so. The dog gets that little burst of confidence every time she walks away (leaving the room), and goes on the attack. What's to ponder about that?
The sentence I marked in blue doesn't make sense. Whether it's dominance or not, wouldn't it make more sense to say that the dog is controlling the owner or guest and not allowing the members of his pack to get out?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
EJQ
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

I believe that MaggieRoseLee has it! This appears to be a fearful act. The dog has the confidence to act when the person becomes an object of "prey" and is in a position to be chased.

AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
MISSY (crossed)
MERCEDES (crossed)
DION (crossed)
EJQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.