Hard dog vs. Soft dog. When did you know? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master Member

I sort of thought the title of the thread was self explanatory

I don't think the scenario tells one anything about "hardness" but it certainly seems to suggest that when excited/frustrated she *might* have a tendency to redirect inappropriately. There has to be a medium between freaking out and shutting down due to correction and I hope you can help her find it.

Going off topic and to the nipping behavior with your daughter- can you get an experienced trainer from your club to come to your home and help you with this specific issue? Just a thought.
GrammaD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #32 (permalink)

Hard dog vs. Soft dog. When did you know?

Puppies usually start showing telltale signs at around 7 weeks. When doing puppy temperament tests on can have a pretty good idea.

That being said, the experiences they have as they grow and the way in which their owners react plays a roll in how the puppy turns out.
Rallhaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
I WAS asking about hardness vs softness. She redirected her frustration and excitement to me. So I was asking if, since the fact that I said no. And then She hit the end of the leash giving herself a correction, which did not phase her and actually got her more excited was a sign that she is a relatively hard dog? Or was it just frustration, plain and simple and I won't know her hardness or softness until later? I guess I wrote the initial post a little hastily and not clear enough. I wasn't asking about how to get her to stop biting or stop wanting to chase things. I'm actually purposely doing things to encourage her drive to chase and bite. Not my daughter, but shes just learning that and it will come with time.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
I can see where codmaster is coming from.
What if she had redirected the bite to your daughters face??
But sounds like you have it under control.
I have a WL and I am not sure it is entirely accurate to say this is "normal" for a 5 month old puppy.....we had well and truly nipped this behavior in the bud by then (scuse the pun ) Must be tricky trying to encourage chasing and biting but at the same time keeping your daughter safe.
Good Luck.....she looks like a pocket rocket.....very cute!!!
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:

Oh and I am a SHE

Of course you are......only a "SHE" could manage a baby, a 5 year old AND a GSD puppy all at the same time!!!
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparra View Post
Of course you are......only a "SHE" could manage a baby, a 5 year old AND a GSD puppy all at the same time!!!

Only a she would be willing too!

Last edited by Narny; 11-25-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Narny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
👍 Ain't that the truth. Haha

Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #37 (permalink)

Just to add my comments on here, I thought I would never be able to allow my dog to interact with my 2 yo daughter because whenever I played with him as a young pup, his sharp teeth would draw blood, all accidentally of course, in that there was no malicious intent just him playing as he did with his litter mates. He is now nineteen months old and well past his puppy years and that fear has since passed. I think they just have to get past their excitable "toddler" stage.
Now I just worry, because whenever he is inside around my nine month old he wants to lick his face, especially his mouth, and that annoys the devil out of me and irritates the baby.
yuricamp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
👍 Ain't that the truth. Haha

Yes if she would have made contact on my daughter it would not have been good. But I was already preventing that with the long line. Instead of stepping on it I walked close to her to tell her no, make her sit and redirect her to the bone near my chair. So I put myself in the line of fire I guess.

She has always liked to chase and bite. But her prey drive has taken a huge leap the past week or so. She REALLY is enjoying it. She's hitting the tug and flirt pole thing with much more intensity these days. So this is relatively new. Habit was probably the wrong word because she hasn't been doing it for long but she has made an attempt several times. Apparently thinking before typing is not my strong suit. But I can catch it quickly. She gets a little crazy gleam In Her eye, ears perk, sometimes a momentary stare and then she'll want to take off. Or sometimes she's bouncy bouncy excited and just wants anything near by to grab in her mouth.

She is getting better about trying to bite my hands throughout the day. Especially when tired. And she never puts her mouth on the baby. If she's close to him she gets slow and gentle and gives him a kiss. But shes rarely close enough to kiss him. She's usually just close enough to hear him and smell him and all that. I'm actually amazed at the natural instinct around him to be very gentle and slow.

Also, although it doesn't make biting kids ok or anything, rogue is a VERY small 5 month old. Only 25 pounds and about 17 inches, I believe. So this is not a 50-60 pound dog pulling me over mauling children or anything.

Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #39 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You don't have to leave or get emotional. The original question is when did you know you had a hard or soft dog. That's it. And just to clarify:
*I do not let my dog bite my children.
*I also do not allow my child to tease the dog, making the dog want to chase and bite her more. And have explained that things like high pitched noises and flailing arms get puppies excited to chase and bite.
*I do not give physical corrections, aside from removing her from a situation at this time.
*the appropriate age for a physical correction depends on the dog, and the goals for the dog. But generally not until the dog understands the rules or the behavior being asked of him and then chooses to ignore them. Which is taught with positive reinforcement first.

I think that should clarify it all. Next time I will slow down and proof read before posting. Whew.

And I asked here, even though I'm working with a club, because it was like 4 pm on a Sunday night and I was curious of Other's experiences. As I said I'm not new to dogs and training, but I am no pro either. Can always learn more and I enjoy and respect many member's opinions and experiences here.

Oh and I am a SHE Irrelevant! But sounds like a positive only approach!

Good luck with your puppy!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
�� Ain't that the truth. Haha

Yes if she would have made contact on my daughter it would not have been good. But I was already preventing that with the long line. Instead of stepping on it I walked close to her to tell her no, make her sit and redirect her to the bone near my chair. So I put myself in the line of fire I guess.

She has always liked to chase and bite. But her prey drive has taken a huge leap the past week or so. She REALLY is enjoying it. She's hitting the tug and flirt pole thing with much more intensity these days. So this is relatively new. Habit was probably the wrong word because she hasn't been doing it for long but she has made an attempt several times. Apparently thinking before typing is not my strong suit. But I can catch it quickly. She gets a little crazy gleam In Her eye, ears perk, sometimes a momentary stare and then she'll want to take off. Or sometimes she's bouncy bouncy excited and just wants anything near by to grab in her mouth.

She is getting better about trying to bite my hands throughout the day. Especially when tired. And she never puts her mouth on the baby. If she's close to him she gets slow and gentle and gives him a kiss. But shes rarely close enough to kiss him. She's usually just close enough to hear him and smell him and all that. I'm actually amazed at the natural instinct around him to be very gentle and slow.

Also, although it doesn't make biting kids ok or anything, rogue is a VERY small 5 month old. Only 25 pounds and about 17 inches, I believe. So this is not a 50-60 pound dog pulling me over mauling children or anything.

No but she soon will be a powerful 50 - 60 lbs + GSD!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.