Hard dog vs. Soft dog. When did you know? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pets4life View Post
codmaster it is a 5 month old prey driven working line pup of course it is going to be a biting monster right now. If he is with a club right now they will help him deal with any issues he has i am sure with the kids. But his pup is going to be a lil nightmare for a while. He has a club though he is training with which is good.
Yes. This is what I am told is normal right now in a working line GSD puppy. And I am a she I am a stay at home mom and my day revolves around managing puppy and children and making sure rogue is some what tired before her interacting with the 5 year old. Or separated.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Looks as if you have a handle on everything and the club to back you up.
Enjoy your land shark! I do not miss those days, LOL!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
codmaster it is a 5 month old prey driven working line pup of course it is going to be a biting monster right now. If he is with a club right now they will help him deal with any issues he has i am sure with the kids. But his pup is going to be a lil nightmare for a while. He has a club though he is training with which is good.

"Working Line" has absolutely nothing to do with the dog's behavior!

Unless you are saying that a BYB or a US showline or a Europe SL puppy will not have any biting issues. (My own US SL male GSD would certainly disagree with you if you really do believe what you wrote as he was a biting monster at that age but did actually learn to curb and control his biting). Or maybe that these dogs don't have any "prey drive"?

If the OP's club is so helpful with his puppy's behavior, I wonder why he even thought to ask about what he could do on this forum? Just curious.
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #24 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post
She had a habit of Trying. She wants to chase everything. A kid running around is no different. So I keep her leashed. She still tries to chase her but with her leashed I can stop her and redirect her when needed.

No of course it would not be OK for her to bite us after titling. She's not allowed to do that now. But at this age it's my management mistake. She will learn by showing her what IS appropriate. I'm not against corrections at an appropriate age, I will talk to the club Wednesday.

Heh! Heh! Whatever you are happy with is what you should do. After all, it is your dog!

Just out of curiosity, what would be an appropriate age in your opinion to actually correct a dog?

Sounds like your dog might be in for an eye opening some time in the future when she exhibits the same inappropriate behavior (i.e. biting your daughter) and gets an actual physical correction.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codmaster View Post
"Working Line" has absolutely nothing to do with the dog's behavior!

Unless you are saying that a BYB or a US showline or a Europe SL puppy will not have any biting issues. (My own US SL male GSD would certainly disagree with you if you really do believe what you wrote as he was a biting monster at that age but did actually learn to curb and control his biting). Or maybe that these dogs don't have any "prey drive"?

If the OP's club is so helpful with his puppy's behavior, I wonder why he even thought to ask about what he could do on this forum? Just curious.

This is the original question...

Hard dog vs. Soft dog. When did you know?

This is the follow up question...

Anyways, is this at all a sign of hardness in a dog? Or was this just frustration because she couldn't get to my daughter so she turned to me? Or both? lol

These are the reasons he brought it up... to give you back round info that you wouldnt already have. He didnt ask for help with the biting. The OP ALREADY has a handle on the biting. Thus the long lead and watchful eye. What else should he be doing?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

OMG@codmaster
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narny View Post
This is the original question...

Hard dog vs. Soft dog. When did you know?

This is the follow up question...

Anyways, is this at all a sign of hardness in a dog? Or was this just frustration because she couldn't get to my daughter so she turned to me? Or both? lol

These are the reasons he brought it up... to give you back round info that you wouldnt already have. He didnt ask for help with the biting. The OP ALREADY has a handle on the biting. Thus the long lead and watchful eye. What else should he be doing?
Narny, narny,

Did you read the original post?

A quote from it below just in case you didn't get a chance prior to your email above:
"Or was this just frustration because she couldn't get to my daughter so she turned to me? Or both? lol "

See, I thought that the OP was asking about his dog biting him and his daughter.

It sounds like from your email above that you must have thought that the OP was asking the group about his puppy's "hardness"?

Was that the case? That would certainly explain your kind of insulting and rude comment (CAPITALS and all).
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
OMG@codmaster

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Why the use of the word GOD?

I now leave this topic to those who know much better than I about little GSD puppies (also know as "LandSharks" - all varieties) and how to handle their biting!

Getting much too emotional.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Elite Member

I WAS asking about hardness vs softness. She redirected her frustration and excitement to me. So I was asking if, since the fact that I said no. And then She hit the end of the leash giving herself a correction, which did not phase her and actually got her more excited was a sign that she is a relatively hard dog? Or was it just frustration, plain and simple and I won't know her hardness or softness until later? I guess I wrote the initial post a little hastily and not clear enough. I wasn't asking about how to get her to stop biting or stop wanting to chase things. I'm actually purposely doing things to encourage her drive to chase and bite. Not my daughter, but shes just learning that and it will come with time.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

You don't have to leave or get emotional. The original question is when did you know you had a hard or soft dog. That's it. And just to clarify:
*I do not let my dog bite my children.
*I also do not allow my child to tease the dog, making the dog want to chase and bite her more. And have explained that things like high pitched noises and flailing arms get puppies excited to chase and bite.
*I do not give physical corrections, aside from removing her from a situation at this time.
*the appropriate age for a physical correction depends on the dog, and the goals for the dog. But generally not until the dog understands the rules or the behavior being asked of him and then chooses to ignore them. Which is taught with positive reinforcement first.

I think that should clarify it all. Next time I will slow down and proof read before posting. Whew.

And I asked here, even though I'm working with a club, because it was like 4 pm on a Sunday night and I was curious of Other's experiences. As I said I'm not new to dogs and training, but I am no pro either. Can always learn more and I enjoy and respect many member's opinions and experiences here.

Oh and I am a SHE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.