What would your dog do if...... - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #51 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Carmen, don't be so nitpicky about the details - Anthony can certainly post a story without his every action being analysed and critiqued. This almost borders on stalking!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #52 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Anthony can certainly post a story without his every action being analysed and critiqued.
Can he really though?? I always cringe at poor Anthony's posts...I know the inevitable storm is brewing as soon as he hits "submit"
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #53 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
ahhhh , Anthony, these posts are so weird . I keep trying to imagine this scenario and each time it comes to me as a device used in movies "the flashback"! Where reality is warped because the memory is selective.

You have a van . In the van are two young ladies and your lovely wife . Dog in restraint back seat . You leave .

Now we have TWO dynamic moving participants . The attendant who wants to enter your vehicle and the dog .

See it as a see-saw , forward and back . Man opens door - dog jumps to back seat --- hey wait a minute --

page one "I finish fueling, and pull into the automated carwash. At that point, the car wash attendant asks me to get out of my truck."

why?

page 3 - "I had left the truck to go pay for some "extras", such as tire shine, wax, etc....
Kira thought we were leaving, and jumped in my seat. ( she NEVER jumps out, no matter what, until I leash her).

The attendant opened the door, and Kira immediately jumped in the back seat. The attendant sat in the driver seat, and drove my car into the automated car wash"

Anthony -- that is two different accounts . In one you are IN the car and asked to come out , child unclips dog thinking every one is going to exit.
Second recollection you are OUT of the car and returning after paying for "extras" and attendant enters car , while DOG thought you were leaving and was in the drivers seat - no child undoing her restraint .

so in these replay what does the family do - not sit there wooden --
Carmen,
I'll say this right hand raised, and under oath!

While pulling into the automated carwash, I rolled down window (sorry, forgot to mention) and asked the attendant if the free carwash included tire shine. he said no. He asked me to leave the vehicle to pay for extras. My daughter wasn't paying attention, and thought we were all getting out. (Getting out of vehicle at carwash, is fairly routine)....
Fast forward, the attendant entered the vehicle briefly to move it up, so they could attend to the next vehicle, while I pay.

Now, back to reality.....

Carmen, this was supposed to be a fun post. I do apologize if I don't recall every explicit detail, in the order it happened.

As far you're concerned, I do feel (as well as some others), that you're bordering on the line of stalking and harassment.
If you have a problem with me, my dog, or any of what it is about me, please just come right out and say whatever it is that bothers you. There's no need to take every post of mine, and turn it into a p*ssing match.
You may not like me, you may not like my dog or the way i've raised her.. not much I can do about that. It is what it is

I come here to share a common interest, and to learn from other's experiences.

Just a footnote..... What I DID learn from this thread, is that my dog reacted no differently than many others. She seems far more "normal" than she's portrayed to be. The reactions from these dogs, were such a mixed bag, that who in their right mind could say one way was more right than the other?

Lots of subliminal lessons in the thread.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I disagree that because your dog jumped in the back in THIS
situation that your wife couldn't or wouldn't be protected in
case of a carjacking. I do hope you never find out!

I remember from a very little girl being told that dogs smell
fear. Whether true or not I'm not sure BUT I do know and
have seen dogs react in different ways according to whether
or not the humans involved were relaxed and comfortable
with what they were doing, or scared and all hyped up.
The attendant jumping in the car was accustomed to doing
that, HE knew he wasn't operating w/ criminal intent and
I'd bet folding money the dog did, too. When some guy
(are there women carjackers?) jumps in the car intending
to steal it, he's got adrenalin at the very least coursing
through his system. That changes things.

Tamsen's Dogster page:
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=27525
valb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #55 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Can he really though?? I always cringe at poor Anthony's posts...I know the inevitable storm is brewing as soon as he hits "submit"
Poor Anthony? Geez guys, let him be!

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yea...poor fellow can't even share a story about his dog without everyone going postal! Sometimes it is warranted, but now it's almost comical/odd how he is treated. It's a wonder that he hasn't jumped ship yet!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #57 (permalink)

Back to 'what would your dog do'. My dogs are not supposed to get in the front seat ever, but they like to and when they see me coming they jump back into the back seat. I would imagine Eli would do what Kira did - jump in the backseat. He's a friendly guy and not territorial of the car. Either that or he would figure 'you're not my mom' and continue to sit in the front seat and not move. He can be testy with strangers, doesn't listen to them and pushes buttons but not aggressive.
Cajun - I am not sure. He is not territorial of the truck but he is a protective dog. I think he would likely move to the passenger seat, half complying with moving out of the persons desired seat but not complying with the 'no dogs int he front seat' rule haha. If the person was to talk to him he might try to eat them. I do not forsee this situation happening so I am happy to not ever know the answer
I unfortunately do not seat belt my dogs in the back seat. We have a truck with a small back seat, and trying to fit 2 or 3 large dogs back there is difficult enough, let alone dealing with them all tangled and hogtied to each other. Longer trips I will strap down plastic kennels in the back of the truck though.
Sweetie - APBT CGN
Mikelia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #58 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Yea...poor fellow can't even share a story about his dog without everyone going postal! Sometimes it is warranted, but now it's almost comical/odd how he is treated. It's a wonder that he hasn't jumped ship yet!
Nah. No need to jump ship.
It's the Internet, all I need to do is close my browser.
I can deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #59 (permalink)
Knighted Member

healthy attitude!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master Member

I have no idea what Spirit would do, but I'm guessing I'd never have him in this situation to find out. Too risky for my taste.

I have a golden reetriever that is as sweet as can be, she has never even growled at a human, ever, and up until this one incident, had never shown any protection or guarding type behavior -- she's 12 years old now. Last summer I was in my car with Daisy in the back seat. I had stopped to talk to a neighbor, he was giving me directions and put his head inside my car to see where a landmark was so he could show me ... mistake. Daisy immediately came up behind me and barked loudly, one time, in this gentleman's ear. She barked so loud, my ears were ringing. She meant business, she sure did.

I wouldn't test my golden retriever's reaction in the OP's situation, let alone my German shepherd. I'm not looking for trouble. And I think anyone who gets into a car with someone's German shepherd they don't know well is very naive.
Jo Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.