What would your dog do if...... - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

A couple of years ago I locked my keys in the car with Sib and the car running..wanted to keep her cool...When the AAA finally got there he used his break in the window tool to open the door...Sib barely looked up from her sleeping position in the back seat..That was when I knew Sib was not gonna be there for me---So I must be there for her..Things to ponder....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #32 (permalink)

Wow! I can't believe anyone would get into a car with a loose GSD! I think my dog would probably do the same if he was in an empty car, but he's shown aggression before when a man approached the car and started talking to me. He barked furiously from the back seat until I told him it was OK. He doesn't do anything when people walk up to the car and it's just him in there. (I've watched from the door of the grocery store when he's been out there and people are even closer than the man that he barked at.)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I am 100% certain that if it had been Keefer he would have licked the guy's face. I don't remember if we had him or Dena with us once when we were dropping my car off for service. The guy had to get in the car to write down the mileage, and whichever dog was in the back seat and did exactly that. The guy was obviously a dog lover since he wasn't at all nervous about a big dog being back there, and he kind of leaned his head back towards the dog while he was being licked.

I have no idea what Halo would do. She doesn't seem particularly territorial about the car, but she's never been in a similar situation so it's hard to guess. She does like people, but has lower thresholds and a higher level of suspicion that Keefer, and doesn't seek attention to the level that he does. If the door were open far enough and she could see us she might actually try to jump out and come to us. I don't *think* she would react aggressively, but she might also not climb all over someone for loves either. Or maybe she would, lol! She can be VERY kissy if she likes you.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #34 (permalink)

Dazzle would have held her place in the drivers' seat and given him the HARD silent stare. She would not have been aggressive toward him but would not have given ground either.

Cain von Hena-C, VPG A, TT 10/19/2003 - 12/17/2009
Gone but not forgotten.

Dazzle von Linienbach, 02/07/2009
Learning the ropes.
CainGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #35 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs are always crated...but if they weren't...

I suspect Hondo would have sat on the driver's seat and wouldn't have budged. He would have given the guy the "Hondo Stink Eye" and the attendant would have carefully shut the door.

Lonestar would have leaped from the driver's seat onto the attendant's head, down his back, bounced off the wall of the car wash onto the hood of the vehicle, ran across the entire vehicle bounding off the rear, raced around the entire building once or twice then back up the attendant's back, over his head and back onto the driver's seat...before the attendant could have even straighten back up.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Elite Member

im not sure to be honest but my dog might bark and give a nasty warning
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

All joking aside, maybe you think I am overkill about the dog in the back with a belt with the kids when there is another place she *could* be. Even in a cargo area with a crash tested barrier I would secure the dog with a seat belt or crate because windows break and dogs escape......often surviving the crash but killing themselves and some other drivers/passengers in the process who swerve to avoid the loose dog.

With the kids - yeah - I do get emotional and downright rude and I apologize but think about it. The dog with a powerful bite is scared to death, tangled in a mix of harness and seat belt, and trying to claw its way out of the backseat. YOU are protected because she did not fly over the front seat and break your neck but your kids may not fare as well.

I remember these videos
Do pet seat belts really work?

If I were putting a dog in an SUV *THIS* is what I would be looking at.
Variocage - Mim Variocage Dog Crate, Variocage Car Crash Safety Crate

The Swedes know their crash testing (remember the old Volvos?)
The Australians are also very good with vehicle safety features (They have the milford barrier)

Honestly, if variocages were more widely available in the states when I bought my owens welded aluminum dog boxes (2007) I may have considered.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Most people arent scared of a gsd unless it is showing aggression. The man probably could tell that she was not being aggressive so just got in.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #39 (permalink)

sometimes the silent types are ones to watch out for more than ones being big mouths

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
sometimes the silent types are ones to watch out for more than ones being big mouths
those are the 'thinking' dogs! I have one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.