What would your dog do if...... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, Stella never goes into the front seat. But if she had, and a guy opened the door, she would probably do nothing. I had an interesting experience with her at a Honda service station. I was bringing my car in for an oil change. At this place you drive into a huge garage and sign in. Stella was with me, sitting in the back with the windows down. Well, I pulled into the garage, turned to the passenger seat to get my stuff together and next thing I see is a man right next to the car, sticking his head IN the window to say hello to Stella! Stella looked a bit surprised but did nothing. The man went on to explain that he knows dogs and all dogs love him!!!! I was speechless....if Stella were a different dog, he could have had his face bit off!!!
Anyhow, I bet Kira just sat there.... or at least I hope she just sat there!
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
You're such a tease, Anthony!
Yeah, he does this stuff on purpose. LOL
Old 11-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Nothing.

As for mine, they are crated.
Mrs.K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyDogs View Post
edit: jocoyn posted: My dog would not be in the situation. He would be crated in the back of the truck if I had kids in the vehicle--I would be concerned about what might happen with with a belted dog next to kids in a wreck.

I think I've read elsewhere that you have a truck with a camper shell, but I'm curious if you'd feel the same way if the dog's crate was in the passenger compartment, like in the back of an SUV. I go back and forth so much on the safest way to travel with dogs and passengers (safety for everyone involved, of course) that I like to hear everyone's views.
When I had an SUV my dogs were in secured crates in the back as well. I have seen the pictures of crash tests with the dogs in seat belts and believe that a back seat passenger could still be seriously injured in a crash. Of course crates can collapse too .......... I had built the ones in the back of my SUV and had I continued with the SUV route I would have bought a Milford Crash Tested safety barrier.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Thanks for your insight. I've seen the seat belt crash test videos too fairly recently and...well, let's just say I'm working on crate training all my dogs specifically for car rides now. Seat belts are better than nothing I guess but I'm not even sure it's all that good for the dogs, much less passengers.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OK Anthony. I no longer care. LOL!
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #27 (permalink)

Masi would have gone Cujo on him. A stranger can walk around my vehicle, touch my vehicle, sit on my vehicle, jump on my vehicle , you open the door when I'm not in it, and all bets are off.

(Just want to say, Masi would also not be in the front seat in this scenerio)

Now if this was one of my past gsd's, Dodge would have sat there and given him the big silent stare, Sami, most likely would have licked him, my aussies, they don't care who you are, everyone's their friend when they are in the car.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi,
We're back from a long, cold day on the trails. Kira had a blast, the kids are exhausted, and I came home to find a huge gift box filled with Omaha steaks, waiting on my front porch
Oh, Happy Holidays!

Anyway, I didn't know so many were against traveling with a harness-type restraint. They do sell them, so I assume they were very much accepted for traveling.

Ok, back to the car wash.....

I had left the truck to go pay for some "extras", such as tire shine, wax, etc....
Kira thought we were leaving, and jumped in my seat. ( she NEVER jumps out, no matter what, until I leash her).

The attendant opened the door, and Kira immediately jumped in the back seat. The attendant sat in the driver seat, and drove my car into the automated car wash. My wife was more baffled by Kira's actions, than the fact that this guy just jumped in our vehicle.

I only asked because I would NEVER get into a car with a GSD in the front seat. My wife commented how Kira would NEVER protect her from a car jacking...lol.

Anyway, this thread was done for fun, and not for any informational purposes.

The responses were very varied, and some were very funny..

Back to the crate.....I remember seeing a video a while back, showing a car accident with a dog in a crate versus a restraint. I honestly don't recall the verdict.

Anybody know where to see this?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm also surprised that the guy got into the car, but at least Kira moved over for him!

I haven't used doggie seat belts because my dogs don't ride on the seat of the car. They ride either in crates, or loose in the cargo area, not on the seats. If I didn't have a car with a cargo area, and a crate wouldn't fit in the back seat, I'd probably have to look into a canine seat belt.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #30 (permalink)

well it's a good thing YOU found those steaks before Kira did))

The guy had alotta hutzpah jumping in your car I'd say I know I wouldn't jump in anyone's car with ANY dog loose that I didn't know, let alone a big ole gsd sitting in the drivers seat!

Good girl Kira, altho your wife's right, guess you can rule out her 'protecting' the car or anything in it at this point

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.