German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   How does adding a new pup effect the relaionship with other dog? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/194937-how-does-adding-new-pup-effect-relaionship-other-dog.html)

Debbieg 11-23-2012 10:53 AM

How does adding a new pup effect the relaionship with other dog?

Question for those who have added a pup to their pack. How did your other dog react? Benny is 3 ½ and I am hoping to add an ES pup soon . Benny was 15 months when we adopted 11 month old Jake and after meeting and playing on neutral ground there was no issues. Benny accepted that Jake is my husbands dog and both love being together. There has never been any jealousy . ( I know jealousy is a human emotion but believe dogs’ feel a form of it.
Yesterday my son dropped off his 9 week old pit bull for me to watch over night as he and his wife were spending Thanksgiving with her family. I am the one taking care of the pup .

Borzoi “Jake” has shown lots if interest in the pup and initiated a well supervised play session.
Benny has not shown aggression towards he pup other than a little growl when the pup ran into him, but he is completely disinterested. He seems a bit sad and even shut down.

Benny always sleeps on the floor next to me whether I sleep in my bed or on the couch. Last night I slept on the couch with the pup in the crate my son had brought at one end and Benny’s bed near me. Benny would not at first get in his bed or even respond when I called him. He slept in the kitchen floor for most of the night and finally came in to his bed. I have been careful to be overly attentive to the pup, and keep my ususal routine with Benny, but he is not his normal happy self.
The pup will be going home today so I won’t have a chance to see how this would play out.

How did getting a new pup effect your relationship with your first dog?

I had 4 kids in 4 years and there was occasionally jealousy from the older ones when a new one came ( older one peeing on my foot while I held the new born !):wild: It all resolved over a few days with lots of reassurance to the one feeling insecure. Don’t know if it is the same with dogs.

Cassidy's Mom 11-23-2012 11:18 AM

Keefer was like that for a couple of weeks after we got Halo. He was despondent for months when we lost Dena, who he'd been raised with since he was 9 weeks old. We thought he'd be happy to have a doggy buddy again but apparently she was a poor substitute!

It didn't take long for him to decide she was fun, but he was pretty put out at first. He used to tug with Dena all the time, but when Halo grabbed the other end of a toy he had he'd drop it like it was radioactive once she'd touched it. He also kept trying to play with her the way he was used to with his previous 70 pound sister which did not work so well with a 14 pound puppy, and he was confused when we corrected him for that.

Soon though, they were fast friends and partners in crime.

kelina 11-23-2012 11:37 AM

Awww bennnnnyy!!!

My pup shadow 6 months next week, super protective over me, was perfectly fine with me adding 4 months old apollo 4 months tomorrow.

She and him are INSEPARTABLE!!! They love eachother!

So I had a good experience with it :P

Jo Ellen 11-24-2012 10:44 AM

Ahhh, one of my favorite discussions. I made a leap of faith bringing home a GSD puppy when my golden retriever was almost 12 years old -- she had always been an only dog, just her and me. I couldn't have imagined it would turn out better than it has. My golden has been an amazing role model for Spirit, she makes it so much easier to raise him. He adores her and she's much more active now.

There is some jealousy but oddly enough it's with Spirit, not so much Daisy. Spirit would take all the attention, and the food LOL ... I have to be careful to not let Daisy feel sidelined. It is a fact though that Spirit, being a puppy, requires more time and attention than Daisy does. I struggle with this a lot.

Daisy's top dog though, even now that Spirit is 8 months. He hasn't seriously challenged Daisy yet, though Daisy has corrected him more than once.

You ask how getting a new puppy affects my relationship with Daisy -- it has made it better. I'm grateful for Spirit -- without him, I might never have seen this side of Daisy. I know her better now, and I love her even more.

But I want to add, I was very careful in my selection of a new puppy to bring home. I didn't go about it willy-nilly. I brought the pup over for play dates several times before I made the decision that this would be Spirit's home. I saw qualities in him that I liked, I see them still today. Spirit and Daisy are a good match, I do take quite a bit of credit for how well this has worked for all of us :)

BowWowMeow 11-24-2012 12:47 PM

I think the experience with your son's puppy is a pretty good indicator of what it will be like when you get a puppy. Rafi was that way when I got the kittens! Now they pretty much ignore one another. He certainly isn't bonded to them like he was to Cleo.

Chama hated every new foster or puppy/dog I brought in at first but after a couple of weeks she warmed up to them. She ended up really loving Rafi because he was very gentle and sweet with her. She and Kai didn't have as good a relationship b/c Kai was too rough and resource guarded me. So I think it also depends on the personality of the dog you bring in.

I will say that it is always hard for me to give equal attention to the resident dog when I have a new animal in the house so being aware of your own actions, feelings, etc. is important.

RowdyDogs 11-24-2012 02:11 PM

I think it depends a lot on the dogs, but I've gradually added 3 additional dogs plus some temporary fosters over the years and mostly the dogs enjoy it. I don't have any problems with dog aggression in mine, so obviously that would change things. But mine do tend to be more people-focused than dog-focused and still all enjoy each other. When one of the permanent pack has to go to the vet or is otherwise gone for a bit, the others are restless and are stoked to see him when he comes back.

I do have jealousy issues, especially because my newest dog is a working dog while the others are mostly retired from serious sport, so I have to be careful to make sure I still do fun activities with the others. Otherwise, one in particular (Bandit) will really start bullying my GSD (Hector) around, particularly if Hector gets close to me. The other, Scooter, will just get really clingy and clearly not that happy, but he's too friendly to take it out on Hector. The third is an old girl who I adopted at a late age and she's mostly just happy to have a couch to sleep on, so no jealousy there. LOL But if I make sure everyone is getting attention, Bandit and Scooter are happy as clams and Bandit even loves to play with Hector.

I didn't see a big impact on my individual relationships with my older dogs as I've gotten new ones. They still react to me the same way (except as I said, Scooter gets clingy if he's not getting enough attention).