Need Help. Wont come inside. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need Help. Wont come inside.

I have a large fenced in yard. Gem loves to be outside and could run around and play outside all day. When its time to come inside she wont come when called. I don't call her with the "come" command because I feel that she thinks she is being punished when she comes in. I say "inside" its 50/50 shot whether she comes. When she does I give her a lot of hugs, praise, pets and high fives. I would like her to come inside every time I give the "inside" command. IM not sure what to do when she doesn't come. Do I repeat the command until she listens? go outside and try to get her (she is smart enough and wont let me get close), close the door and try again in a few minutes (she wins then) ugh frustrating. Any advice help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
runnershigh108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Go outside and get her....don't do it in an angry or frustrated manner just get her, bring her in. If she is running from you in a fenced in area, then you need to really teach her a recall for her own safety.

If I were in this situation, I would limit her freedom in the fenced in area...she'd be on a long line and I'd condition her to come when I ask, and I'd reward her. Treats or some fun tug will have her come running, use a very high value toy or food to teach it.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks onyx I will try the toy option. She has a tug toy she can't resist....maybe once she comes inside play a little tug o war with her every time until she comes with every "inside" command.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree: call her once and then go and get her. Leave a leash dragging on her if that helps. It might be that this has become a conflict in her mind and by taking the conflict away, she might get over this.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Buy a long, long line. If she doesn't come, you'll get her and make her come. Work on training for a solid recall.

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."

www.germanshepherdguide.com
Wild Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

cash can be kinda obstinate sometimes too, so i wimp out and use the "c" word, i.e., "hey bud, wanna cookie???" cookie does it every time, lolol.

agree with the long line and retrieving her if she doesn't come, but i'd teach her the word cookie too, lolol...(my cookies are tiny bones which don't overload 'em with calories).
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks everyone, great advice. She is really good with the come command as long as I am not standing by the door to come inside. I don't want to associate Come with going inside every time I call her to come. That is why I use the "inside" command. I'll leave a lead on her so i can catch her and see if that works as well as the tug toy once she is inside. Hopefully she will associate coming inside with something positive.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Everyone has given great advice, but I would not leave a long lead on her when she is unattended. Try showing Gem the tug toy, act like your tugging yourself, I bet she won't turn down a game of tug! If she has a favorite treat, try that also. My Bear is addicted to squeaky balls and he'll bust his butt getting to me when he hears it squeak. Gem might just do the same when she sees the tug toy. Good luck with Gem!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com

Bearclaw Von Wiefelspuetz (Bear) - GSD 06-27-09
Bama4us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

I was having an issue with recall the last few weeks.
As the last comment mentioned, a squeaky ball works well for some.
I have a ball with a very loud squeak that he is not allowed to play with.
I squeak it for recall then give Atticus a treat. We have worked with this at home when he is in the yard and also off leash at the park. He responds really well and comes right away. After a few times with this, I gave treats only every other time or so and eventually no treats just the squeak and lots of praise.
Good luck!
Atticus5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I recently helped a 92 year old woman who was having the same problem with her dog. Her dog wouldn't come in at night and was disturbing the neighbors b/c she was barking.

Basically, I told her that the reward for coming in had to be greater than the reward for staying out. We came up with a new command and started working on it inside. The reward was steak. Then we transferred it to outside, using the same reward. She is having 100% success now!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.