German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   General Behavior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/)
-   -   Need Help. Wont come inside. (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-behavior/194919-need-help-wont-come-inside.html)

runnershigh108 11-22-2012 09:41 PM

Need Help. Wont come inside.

I have a large fenced in yard. Gem loves to be outside and could run around and play outside all day. When its time to come inside she wont come when called. I don't call her with the "come" command because I feel that she thinks she is being punished when she comes in. I say "inside" its 50/50 shot whether she comes. When she does I give her a lot of hugs, praise, pets and high fives. I would like her to come inside every time I give the "inside" command. IM not sure what to do when she doesn't come. Do I repeat the command until she listens? go outside and try to get her (she is smart enough and wont let me get close), close the door and try again in a few minutes (she wins then) ugh frustrating. Any advice help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

onyx'girl 11-22-2012 09:47 PM

Go outside and get her....don't do it in an angry or frustrated manner just get her, bring her in. If she is running from you in a fenced in area, then you need to really teach her a recall for her own safety.

If I were in this situation, I would limit her freedom in the fenced in area...she'd be on a long line and I'd condition her to come when I ask, and I'd reward her. Treats or some fun tug will have her come running, use a very high value toy or food to teach it.

runnershigh108 11-22-2012 09:52 PM

Thanks onyx I will try the toy option. She has a tug toy she can't resist....maybe once she comes inside play a little tug o war with her every time until she comes with every "inside" command.

Elaine 11-22-2012 10:06 PM

I agree: call her once and then go and get her. Leave a leash dragging on her if that helps. It might be that this has become a conflict in her mind and by taking the conflict away, she might get over this.

Wild Wolf 11-22-2012 10:08 PM

Buy a long, long line. If she doesn't come, you'll get her and make her come. Work on training for a solid recall.

katieliz 11-22-2012 10:11 PM

cash can be kinda obstinate sometimes too, so i wimp out and use the "c" word, i.e., "hey bud, wanna cookie???" cookie does it every time, lolol.

agree with the long line and retrieving her if she doesn't come, but i'd teach her the word cookie too, lolol...(my cookies are tiny bones which don't overload 'em with calories).

runnershigh108 11-22-2012 10:36 PM

thanks everyone, great advice. She is really good with the come command as long as I am not standing by the door to come inside. I don't want to associate Come with going inside every time I call her to come. That is why I use the "inside" command. I'll leave a lead on her so i can catch her and see if that works as well as the tug toy once she is inside. Hopefully she will associate coming inside with something positive.

Bama4us 11-22-2012 11:19 PM

Everyone has given great advice, but I would not leave a long lead on her when she is unattended. Try showing Gem the tug toy, act like your tugging yourself, I bet she won't turn down a game of tug! If she has a favorite treat, try that also. My Bear is addicted to squeaky balls and he'll bust his butt getting to me when he hears it squeak. Gem might just do the same when she sees the tug toy. Good luck with Gem!

Atticus5 11-23-2012 12:21 AM

I was having an issue with recall the last few weeks.
As the last comment mentioned, a squeaky ball works well for some.
I have a ball with a very loud squeak that he is not allowed to play with.
I squeak it for recall then give Atticus a treat. We have worked with this at home when he is in the yard and also off leash at the park. He responds really well and comes right away. After a few times with this, I gave treats only every other time or so and eventually no treats just the squeak and lots of praise.
Good luck!:)

BowWowMeow 11-23-2012 12:31 AM

I recently helped a 92 year old woman who was having the same problem with her dog. Her dog wouldn't come in at night and was disturbing the neighbors b/c she was barking.

Basically, I told her that the reward for coming in had to be greater than the reward for staying out. We came up with a new command and started working on it inside. The reward was steak. Then we transferred it to outside, using the same reward. She is having 100% success now!