German Shepherds Forum banner

Training -getting to much

788 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Kyleigh 
#1 ·
Hi all.. got a few questions

Kai still bites, is this normal (hes 7 months). Its not as much as it was but it still happens. We do all the things we were told to do (ignore him when he does ect.) I cant even dry him with out getting bitten

Also leash walking. what can i do? ive tried youtube and ive tried things ive been told (walk the other way ect) with the weather being so bad its nearly impossible to walk him.

He is NOT showing signs of aggression.

Should i see a trainer? Compared to the US theres only a hand full. If anyone knows any one in the uk that could help please direct me...or tell me im being stupid and offer ideas on how to get around the situation..

Hes good with basic commands and most days hes controlable and calm. As its getting dangerous to take him for walks hes got allot of energy built up. I want to be able to talk him for a walk with out the fear of danger

:(

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you plan to do any dog sports with him or will he be your companion/pet?

At this age, if he still hasn't learned the rules, you dropped the ball somewhere and it is time to introduce some corrections. Get a prong collar, learn how to use it and fit it properly. You might need to visit a trainer for this part. Fit it snugly and high up on the neck - almost to the ears.

When you are walking, as soon as he pulls and acts like an idiot, give him a quick firm pop on the lead. It is good if he yelps. It means your correction got through to him. My trainer will always say "one good correction is worth a thousand bad ones". You do not want to give nagging corrections. One firm pop so he gets the idea. When he stops bad behavior and comes back to you, lots of praise and a couple thumps on the side. At first only go 10-20 paces or so. Keep it light, fun and stop before he gets overwhelmed. Slowly you will train him to walk properly on lead. Have 3-4 sessions a day. Eventually you can work your way up to a full walk.

Give strong corrections for biting. He should not be biting human flesh at this age.

#3 ·
Just a companion pet. How would me correct him for biting seeing as what we are doing does not work. I have contacted a trainer and he quoted £80 for 90 mins. I will see how we work on the leash walking this year. I've started trying to leash train him by rewarding the good walking and when he pulls change direction. Is that alright? Will see a trainer in January. In the uk there are only a handful of trainers and I can't tell if any of them are good. If anyone knows any good ones please do tell

#7 ·
Outside of a trainer (which I cannot help you with, sorry) I would say that some of his "acting up" is because he's bored and doesn't get enough exercise.

The cost (in CDN $ is about $130 for 90 minutes) is a decent price LOL I've been quoted anywhere from $100 - $200 depending on "what" I was looking for - behavioural / training, etc.

I agree with the "one good correction is worth a thousand bad ones" ... especially at his age. Unfortunately, I also agree that you did drop the ball on this, and it will be much harder to correct now (always easier to teach the "right" thing, than to correct the "bad" thing).

I noticed you indicated that you have an appointment in January .. is there ANY way you can get an earlier appointment? I can just picture how much more frustrated you and your dog will be to wait two more months ... I know I would be climbing the walls!!!!

Good luck,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.