Kira's reaction to a rauscous house full of guests? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Kira's reaction to a rauscous house full of guests?

I witnessed some odd behavior from Kira this past weekend.

Saturday night, we had a house full of friends (maybe 15 adults). The atmosphere was upbeat, with loud music, and alcohol. We were all in kitchen / family room area.
I mention this because I want you to understand that the energy level was high (no pun).

During all this, Kira was a perfect house guest. She simply laid on her mat, with a bone, and bothered no one.

THEN, as the music and people got louder, Kira get got up from her mat, and started "working the room". She was puffed, tail raised, huffy and puffy, and was going to each guest one at a time, and nipping their pants at the ankles if they moved away from where they were standing or sitting. She never appeared to be threatening, and no one was afraid of her. At one point, she walked over to a female friend, and just grabbed her shirt sleeve, and attempted to pull her away from the table.
I corrected her a few times before crating her, but was really curious you think she may have been thinking?

It's hard to completely describe what I witnessed, but it appeared as if she wanted to "break up the party".

This is not the first time I witnessed something like this. A while ago, I was playing in the floor with my wife and chilldren. When the play became agitated, Kira started pulling us apart. Of course, I found it cute and funny, but deep down inside I was curious what she was thinking.

Do you think Kira simply doesn't like a rauscous environment, and attempts to calm things down?
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like she was stressed and it would have been better to crate her.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sigh....

Kira is not comfortable with strangers and a lot of commotion in her house. You already know this.

She should have been in her crate, or in a room away from the hubbub.

It is not cute or funny to have a GSD biting and pulling at your guests' clothing. Doesn't matter whether anyone was afraid or not. All it would take is a tiny piece of skin to be caught in the clothing, enough of a nip to leave a bruise or draw blood, and you're in trouble. Why would you risk this? And why would you put Kira in this position?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

this is going to be my only response to this because nothing has changed -- we have been over this so many times -- the dog is stressed -- it is so not cute or funny and you keep putting your dog into situations that she can not handle.

to add to that I would not put the best, most stable temperament dogs in that situation - not for fear of what the dog may do , but out of respect to the animal who does not need to deal with people harrasing him , getting silly with a few stiff drinks --

Last edited by carmspack; 11-19-2012 at 11:49 AM.
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not sure if you read the whole story. Kira gave no signs of being stressed whatsoever. She was fine. She was on her mat, enjoying her bone. Couldn't ask for anything more from her. People are always over my house, and she never bothers anyone. She's getting older, and much calmer these days.

In this case, as the room dynamics changed, so did she.

Carmen,
Seriously... Can you PLEASE stop throwing that in my face. I do NOT intenionally put my dog in stressful situations. What the heck could be so stressful about having your dog in a house ful of guests? This is her house, and people are always in an out. She lives here. Should I have sent her to a kennel because I was having a party?
She doesn't even bark at strangers, or normally make a sound at anything. She's been so calm. She loves everyone. She's so friendly, and polite.

I mentioned her behavior because I'm curious why the change.

Freestep,

She was fine.
When I saw what she was doing, I did crate her, and she went to sleep.
Anthony8858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
THEN, as the music and people got louder, Kira get got up from her mat, and started "working the room". She was puffed, tail raised, huffy and puffy, and was going to each guest one at a time, and nipping their pants at the ankles
I don't think this is odd at all.
Dogs are energy mirrors. As the energy level got higher, and people started having more adult beverages, Kira sensed the change and it stressed her out.

That is why she reacted the way she did. A house full of loud music and people on her normally safe and tranquil territory.

Can't say I blame her. I tend to like peace and quiet, too
Old 11-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

From what our breeder warned us about, it may be the alcohol and it's effects on people. When we first got Molly, her breeder was doing training with a small group of us and told us some stories of bad outcomes when people drank too much around their dogs.

At first glance it would seem like a loud environment with lots of people might upset her. But last week, Molly who is normally very protective at our business, got the opportunity to watch our local police Emergency Services Unit practice a hostage situation on the business property. There were 15 plus men is camouflage, helmets, pistols around their legs, rifles, and a trained K9 unit - they were loud and serious and sober. Molly was extremely calm and polite to all involved. That's why I say it could be the alcohol and Kira sensing people were not themselves, possibly uncontrollable.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'd say it was the intoxication of the guests that upset her too.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I agree with Gretchen and Sunflowers. I could see this happening with my very social no-issues previous male. I don't think it's Kira in particular. Now you know. I know that YOU know Kira best. I also know you love her enough to not do things that you know will stress her out.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Kira gave no signs of being stressed whatsoever.
You described a stressed out dog.
Not sure what you want us to say.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.