German Shepherds Forum banner

Dog - dog communication in Black GSDs

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Chip18 
#1 ·
This is a question for the owners of black GSDs. Do you find that it is harder for other (strange) dogs to read the facial expressions of the solid black GSDs? In particular since they don't have eyebrows or lighter lines in their faces that can express intentions/emotions.
Of course I realize that there is more than just the facial expressions like posture, hackles. ears eyes etc.
When WD is old enough (at least three years) I would love the idea of adding a black female pup.

#5 ·
I haven't noticed anything like that with my boy but then reading Freesteps reply, he does poke his tounge out a lot more than my girl!

#8 ·
I think people might have this issue with black Shepards more so than other dogs. My puppy though is never aggressive toward other dogs. If she's approaching them she's radiating goodwill, and all dogs seem to respond appropriately (not all welcoming, but most are at least tolerant) and don't seem overly wary.

Nyx recently encountered a big sable Cane Corso female though, and she took one look from afar and decided to keep her distance, which is sort of uncharacteristic for her. Later that dog came up to me too, and I swear I couldn't tell if she wanted to be petted or to eat me! And I consider myself pretty adept at reading any dog. There was a very odd, IMO, lack of any emotion in that dog's face and eyes...I admit it was a little scary. So it's certainly a real thing...

Reactions: Chip18
#20 ·
I think people might have this issue with black Shepards more so than other dogs.
Yesss,yes they do! Despite how seriously anal, I was with Rocky and my automatic 5 foot stand off bit. I did find that "most people" kinda sorta did that anyway, keep a respectful distance???

Lack of feedback perhaps as ... most people could not "read him??" All they saw was calm, and he would just stand beside or step five feet away and wait if off leash. The odd thing was ... ex Military ... he luv'd those guys and they never had issues with him. Pretty much ... nothing to think aout for those guys with him???

Ex military were the only people that Rocky would actually approach of his on volition?? He greeted Ex Vets ... like they were long lost friends??? I'd not seen anything like that before, kinda cool though. :laugh2:

#10 ·
This is funny you post this. While prepping for their BH. my two dogs were at different times on the field with an all black Shepherd. Both of my dogs who are always aloof to other dogs on the field seemed really preoccupied with the black Shepherd. At trial Rosko was once again paired with him. He done fine during the routine but afterwards during the critique he was once again really preoccupied crawling, trying to get closer to the dog, slightly vocalizing, not barking more of a whine or like a dog leaking drive. It was all low level stuff but he wasn't too sure about him.
Athena also had a run in with a blood hound for the first time. We were at club on a Thursday the week before trial getting in a few extra sessions. Thursday is also a night the SAR crew is there doing their thing. We were working through the group when a blood hound and handler walked through the other field behind us on the way to the woods. Athena stopped instantly and stared like what the heck are you and what are you doing.
It's interesting how they react to other dogs that they haven't came in contact with before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.