Dog is fighting with my other dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dog is fighting with my other dog

Ok so I have a male gsd of course ,and my girlfriend has a boxer female ,every time we put a toy down even two for each ,the boxer goes at my gsd he runs away or try's anyway tell she won't leave him alone then he gets mad and they go at it every time is the same he wins and walks away but then she goes back at him again and he puts her down again it's getting to the point were she is getting hurt but she just won't leave him alone and now it's starting to happen anytime even when there is nothing going on ,what can I do to make her stop so he does not hurt her anymore??? I understand they have to set rules for each other and set who is boss and all but it's getting to bad I don't want them hurt...
arizona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

how is she hurt ? does he make her bleed? no more dogs tho for now it is not a good idea trust me the new pup will get hurt bad.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

You should not be letting this happen. I will let the experts help you with how to stop it, but until then, stop putting toys down for them to fight over. While the dogs do set boundaries it is up to you to set the rules and enforce them. If you don't stop this now, it can get much worse with time. You can consult a trainer/behavorist for help. But definitely stop it now.

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Zisso is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is inexcuseable to be letting these dogs fight. Your poor dog is desperately trying to back down and not fight, but the other dog keeps at him. You are the top dog and if you want peace on the home front, you MUST NOT let this continue.

You have to step in the second you hear their tone and/or body language changes and put a stop to it. If you know they are fighting over toys, don't allow toys when they are together. If need be, keep the dogs separated entirely if they can't get along.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok i know that and have stopped it im not stupid or a first time dog owner norm other dogs do it once maybe twice and thats it but not with these two thats why i asked for help not a lecture,but they have to stay separated all the time now and i cant constintly keep them apart its not fair to them, and no im getting another dog,they are already both adults also, when they fight there is no blood just loud sounds worse then it is.im not asking for people to tell me how bad a person i am for putting down toys for them to fight cuz thats not how it is at all they just seem to hate eachother for no good reason,if all i am going to get is telling me how bad a job im doing i will just go somewhere else
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I really don't care if you want to go somewhere else. You were the one saying you were putting down toys knowing they would fight over them and you were letting them fight to settle things between them, not me.

If they are fighting all the time now, then either you keep them apart all the time or you rehome one of them, before they kill each other.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

and i DO NOT let them do it i brake it up and keep braking it up i dont know what else to do but stop it i dont want to just stop i want to prevent thats why i posted,not to get picked on
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can always take your dogs to dog school so you can learn how to better handle your dogs. You need to take a stronger approach to this so they listen better to you, but if they are already fighting all the time, chances are this isn't something you can change.

It's so annoying when people post about their problems and then whine when they don't like the advice. You aren't being picked on.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Take away the toys when you hear one growl.
My pups mainly my 5.5 month one growls and all, I tap her nose and push her back and take the toy away.

My youngest one 3.5 months loves playing, he literally tackles her and they both play. A lot of people get all worried about how gsd and boxers play.. they growl, jump and really are wild lol. When I hear my male welp I instantly cut the playing out !

They are dogs. They are going to wrestle and growl hehe. Its really cute ! I love when they play.

Just pay close attention. MAKE SURE : you dont leave them alone..
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

With my girls, the only way that we can prevent fights is to keep them separated if we aren't ready to give them all of our attention. They give off pretty huge red flags and are responsive to us so it's not to hard to step in and correct the initiator and redirect their attention back on us instead of each other. I'm sure that your guys are also giving some pretty big signs that they are getting ready to fight. I know for our GSD girl, who's the instigator, her ears perk forward a bit and she gets a bit of extra swag and gives Scarlett an intense stink eye. If we jump in and give her a correction she'll knock it off and leave Scarlett alone. BUUUTT... if we don't catch it then Scarlett will get hurt and we'll have a real fight on our hands.

You need to catch the boxer when she first gets the idea in her head to go after the GSD even if that means you need to keep her on leash at all times around the GSD. Also, don't set them up for failure! Don't give them treats, bones, toys or anything that causes conflict! Don't get them riled up around each other, etc. and learn their signals.

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.