German Shepherds Forum banner

Chewed her kennel

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Suka 
#1 ·
Any suggestions how to deal with my dog that chewed a hole in her hard plastic kennel while I was at work?

#7 ·
I wonder if where you have the kennel is warmer than in the previous location. Maybe their is a heater blowing on it now that heaters are coming on. Plastic kennels, airline kennels might hold a dog's body heat more than the wire crates. It is just a question.

She could be bored. She could feel some level of anxiety being in a different location.

I would probably get a wire crate or an x-pen and metal cover if she is likely to climb out of it.

#8 ·
My last male tore apart 2 of the wire crates when he was several years old. If your pup can eat through a kennel, then the pup can probably destroy a wire crate as well. Better to give the pup something new to do when crated than cause more change.

#10 ·
Jag, I'm curious - how sturdy were those metal crates? The reason I ask is that I'm shopping for an xl metal crate right now, and so far I'm not very happy with the quality I'm seeing in the pet stores. I know I don't need super-containment, but these flimsy ones look almost dangerous to me. I have a great one now, but it's ages old and too small - it's very well made and can't be torn apart. Either I'm looking in the wrong stores (lol, a pet store, for a dog, go figure!) or, "They don't make them like they used to" applies to crates as well.

#15 ·
We are on our second metal crate from Life Stages and we love them. They are sturdy and easy to break down and store or travel with if you need to. We buy them off of Amazon, and they are truly the most inexpensive crates I've seen advertised and they are quality products. The only reason we had to get a new one is because Suki grew out of the old one!

#11 ·
This time frame is what her schedule has been for a long time without any destruction so thats why I am confused why it happened now. We are also questioning if she may have heard something (animal) outside of the house that she wanted to get at? It is a wooded area that I live in.

#18 ·
I got a midwest i-crate -- that was junk. My puppies would knock the front panel down. I finally had to tie-wrap it together and then clip the latches closed. Pain in the backside for sure.

I have the precision crates with two doors. These generally work ok. But occasionally the girls will open them.

So far the best crate I have had luck with, I think they are petmate, but I got them at walmart for about 69 dollars. They are strong and hold the dog in.

Not sure why the cheapie works better for me on this. The i-crate cost me twice that. I won't buy another midwest product.

#19 ·
I do not want to come across as critical. I want to help, since the question was asked.

Opinion : 8 hours in a crate is too long for a 15 month old gsd, or any gsd, in my opinion - on a regular basis. Just because dogs can do it, doesn't mean they should.

Helpful suggestions: She hasn't had a problem before this, just might mean she could have decided she has had enough of long periods in the crate, or maybe she hasn't gotten as much exercise lately and her routine has been broken or simply that she is in a strange new place and all or some of the above could lend to this seemingly sudden issue. Might want to work her time spent in crate up gradually again as if it's brand new (since she chewed a hole in her old one, it technically will be) and consider if more exercise both physical and mental, might help. I don't know your situation so I can't really act like an authority on the matter. :cool:

She is still a baby, after all. Post pictures! :wub:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.