Chewed her kennel - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

This time frame is what her schedule has been for a long time without any destruction so thats why I am confused why it happened now. We are also questioning if she may have heard something (animal) outside of the house that she wanted to get at? It is a wooded area that I live in.
Dino1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Or a big mouse / rat chewed at it to get to her??? (j/k)
Old 11-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
She is 15 months and has never bothered the kennel before. I did just move to new house a week ago and wonder if that's it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleigh View Post
Or a big mouse / rat chewed at it to get to her??? (j/k)
Haha....that would be one big critter!!
Dino1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
Haha....that would be one big critter!!
And brave too!!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Jag, I'm curious - how sturdy were those metal crates? The reason I ask is that I'm shopping for an xl metal crate right now, and so far I'm not very happy with the quality I'm seeing in the pet stores. I know I don't need super-containment, but these flimsy ones look almost dangerous to me. I have a great one now, but it's ages old and too small - it's very well made and can't be torn apart. Either I'm looking in the wrong stores (lol, a pet store, for a dog, go figure!) or, "They don't make them like they used to" applies to crates as well.
We are on our second metal crate from Life Stages and we love them. They are sturdy and easy to break down and store or travel with if you need to. We buy them off of Amazon, and they are truly the most inexpensive crates I've seen advertised and they are quality products. The only reason we had to get a new one is because Suki grew out of the old one!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Jag, I'm curious - how sturdy were those metal crates? The reason I ask is that I'm shopping for an xl metal crate right now, and so far I'm not very happy with the quality I'm seeing in the pet stores. I know I don't need super-containment, but these flimsy ones look almost dangerous to me. I have a great one now, but it's ages old and too small - it's very well made and can't be torn apart. Either I'm looking in the wrong stores (lol, a pet store, for a dog, go figure!) or, "They don't make them like they used to" applies to crates as well.
The first one (which he'd had for years) was just your average one at Petsmart. Can't even think of the name of it, it's the most popular brand. The second was a "Kong" brand, supposed to be much sturdier. I didn't find this to be true, though. I have seen the REALLY heavy duty ones (that cost about $700) but didn't go that route. He wasn't crated often, but threw big 'hissy fits' when he was... tearing apart the crate in the process.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

kyra has bent and found her way out of her wire crate. these were heavy duty crates also. my solution was to not close the gate. she was house trained at this point and it worked out well.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got a midwest i-crate -- that was junk. My puppies would knock the front panel down. I finally had to tie-wrap it together and then clip the latches closed. Pain in the backside for sure.

I have the precision crates with two doors. These generally work ok. But occasionally the girls will open them.

So far the best crate I have had luck with, I think they are petmate, but I got them at walmart for about 69 dollars. They are strong and hold the dog in.

Not sure why the cheapie works better for me on this. The i-crate cost me twice that. I won't buy another midwest product.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I do not want to come across as critical. I want to help, since the question was asked.

Opinion : 8 hours in a crate is too long for a 15 month old gsd, or any gsd, in my opinion - on a regular basis. Just because dogs can do it, doesn't mean they should.

Helpful suggestions: She hasn't had a problem before this, just might mean she could have decided she has had enough of long periods in the crate, or maybe she hasn't gotten as much exercise lately and her routine has been broken or simply that she is in a strange new place and all or some of the above could lend to this seemingly sudden issue. Might want to work her time spent in crate up gradually again as if it's brand new (since she chewed a hole in her old one, it technically will be) and consider if more exercise both physical and mental, might help. I don't know your situation so I can't really act like an authority on the matter.

She is still a baby, after all. Post pictures!
Suka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.