What does he want? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchonGSD View Post
Husband thinks that this could be some form of herding behavior? For some reason, he is deciding that he wants us all in the same room during "night time" and he's either trying to get me to bring Kolton back in the main room, or he's trying to get me to go in there with Kolton. I dont know.
This has been a nightly occurrence for weeks now.
I think you are correct.
He wants you to go to bed so everyone is together. If it annoys you, I would not give him the chance to practice this behavior by keeping him with you until you decide it's time for bed.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Sounds to me like he wants you to go in there with Kolton so that HE can be in there with him, too. I think he's VERY attached to your boy, and he wants to stay with him. Night time is different with every shepherd I've had. They are more intense into who is where and what they're doing. It really sounds like what my male used to do when he was ready to go to bed. He can't watch you in one room and the boy in another.... and it sounds like he's frustrated by that. Can you try going in and reading a book or something on the bed and see if that changes what he's doing? If it does, then you know what the problem is.

I dunno if you really can 'stop' this behavior. The baby gate idea is OK... but he's going to want to check on the boy regardless. If you don't allow him to as least be able to see him, I have a feeling you're going to see escalating anxiety and potentially destructive behavior. His love for your boy is a sealed deal. He also feels the need to watch over you. It's his 'job'.

Last edited by Jag; 11-15-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know you probably want to sleep, but when Balen brings you to Kolton, have you ever just stayed in the room with Kolton and watch him sleep for a while?

Does your son snore, have apnea, seizures, gets restless legs? I'm kind of with Kyleigh on this one.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Per my mom almost the same thing happened with me when I was a baby. Almost the same time every night I would wake up and the dog acted weird...This might sound crazy, but could your house be haunted?
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Sounds to me like he wants you to go in there with Kolton so that HE can be in there with him, too. I think he's VERY attached to your boy, and he wants to stay with him. Night time is different with every shepherd I've had. They are more intense into who is where and what they're doing. It really sounds like what my male used to do when he was ready to go to bed. He can't watch you in one room and the boy in another.... and it sounds like he's frustrated by that. Can you try going in and reading a book or something on the bed and see if that changes what he's doing? If it does, then you know what the problem is.

I dunno if you really can 'stop' this behavior. The baby gate idea is OK... but he's going to want to check on the boy regardless. If you don't allow him to as least be able to see him, I have a feeling you're going to see escalating anxiety and potentially destructive behavior. His love for your boy is a sealed deal. He also feels the need to watch over you. It's his 'job'.
Well your right about that, deal is sealed with those to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
I know you probably want to sleep, but when Balen brings you to Kolton, have you ever just stayed in the room with Kolton and watch him sleep for a while?

Does your son snore, have apnea, seizures, gets restless legs? I'm kind of with Kyleigh on this one.
He doesnt have any medical conditions that I know of. He is in general, a restless sleeper, like me but now I'm almost wondering if I should start to look for something....

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Per my mom almost the same thing happened with me when I was a baby. Almost the same time every night I would wake up and the dog acted weird...This might sound crazy, but could your house be haunted?
There have been strange things in the house, but nothing in several months.

I'm going to try to get this on video tonight if my batteries have enough life left in them so everyone can see. I'm sure tonight will be no exception.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

ok, maybe he's just being a HUGE PITA ... I wasn't trying to scare you sorry ... it just kind of popped in my head ... restless dog because something's "off" ... could be anything or nothing
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.