German Shepherds Forum banner

Guarding my desk and her toys from other dogs?

543 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Chennypenn 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but I've been lurking for a few weeks and know you guys are a wealth of information :):)

I adopted a 8-10 month GSD/sheltie mix about 2 weeks ago and have been taking her to work with me. She's got a STELLAR temperament with people and there's not a person at my office who doesn't want to give her a hug every time she walks by. But recently she started growling whenever my co-worker's dog approaches my desk (she usually hangs out there), whether or not I'm there. I've read that I shouldn't correct her growling because that's her way of communicating so she doesn't have to bite. But on the other hand, it can get kind of intense and makes for an uncomfortable atmosphere. The other dog is generally quite nice though he did correct her once for sticking her head into his owner's cabinet.

Am I accidentally encouraging her to be territorial by not correcting her growling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.