Changes in the bark? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Different situations call for different barks. I'm sure you'll still hear that high pitched bark even though you've now heard the deeper bark.
Agree.
Most barks, when the dog is in prey mode or excitement, is higher pitched than the throaty deep growl of aggression/defense.
Onyx has always had a deep bark for a female, but now and then has higher pitched screamy type when she is in prey mode. Some dogs never get a deep bark, hurts my ears to hear the pitch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
I don't think of it that way...as plenty of dogs can come from shelter environments without a blink of an eye. Others...not so much.
I suspect he's always going to have issues of some sort (how's his separation anxiety, btw?) but now he's comfortable in your home.
Dogs like this, if shifted yet again (a move, or a new owner, back to a shelter, etc.), often relapse.
He still has to be crated and he still hates it, but he isnt jail braking anymore, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Agree.
Most barks, when the dog is in prey mode or excitement, is higher pitched than the throaty deep growl of aggression/defense.
Onyx has always had a deep bark for a female, but now and then has higher pitched screamy type when she is in prey mode. Some dogs never get a deep bark, hurts my ears to hear the pitch!
That would make sense. When I'm hearing this "new" bark, its at people and sometimes other dogs. When he was barking the high pitched bark, I guess it was just excitement, but now that he is more comfortable here, it has become defense?

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Watch that he doesn't become too defensive. Keep in mind you are 'the boss' and what you say, goes. That is, the UPS guy and mail carriers are generally "safe" and don't need to be barked at
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The sound of the bark will depend on why/what he is barking at. If he's barking at squirrels or dogs it could be an excitement type....if he's barking at strangers or dogs) it could be a deeper bark.
Training young dogs in protection, you can hear the different barks and transition from prey to defense.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kaiser found his "big boy bark" about a month and a half ago He still has his "puppy bark" though...aka his "play with me" bark...aka his "sassy" bark

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Watch that he doesn't become too defensive. Keep in mind you are 'the boss' and what you say, goes. That is, the UPS guy and mail carriers are generally "safe" and don't need to be barked at
He stops immediately when I tell him. The only problem I've ever had was when he turned into Cujo over the neighbor across the street came close to the gates, however, I think that had a lot to do with Kolton.

At any rate, I love to hear this new big boy bark. It's pretty impressive.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

when you first got your dog he came from a rescue and looked a little under the weather -- . Was his bark a little raspy, maybe higher pitched ? He may have had a minor bacterial infection , sore throat , or had exhausted adrenals from stress and sub par nutriton , or had an imbalance in his thyroid - which has been addressed by your care and his vastly improved diet.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
Kaiser found his "big boy bark" about a month and a half ago He still has his "puppy bark" though...aka his "play with me" bark...aka his "sassy" bark
Same here for WD. Also the high pitched "I-can't-reach-that-toy bark"; looking back and forth between staring at the toy under the couch and me.
But that serious bark that I heard last week when there was a strange dog on the property sounded really scary suddenly. I am glad he likes me .
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
when you first got your dog he came from a rescue and looked a little under the weather -- . Was his bark a little raspy, maybe higher pitched ? He may have had a minor bacterial infection , sore throat , or had exhausted adrenals from stress and sub par nutriton , or had an imbalance in his thyroid - which has been addressed by your care and his vastly improved diet.
His bark wasnt raspy, but it had been that higher pitched bark from the beginning. I guess his high pitched bark could have been caused by his over all poor condition- I didnt even think of that.

He is most certainly better now. I can say that he is "where he should be" now.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

Hahahaa !!!! My apollo boy is changing his bark too! When he tries to get the cat he lets out a real big RUF lmao! And we still hear the lil squeak too haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser2012 View Post
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.